Basketball, Sports

Women’s basketball topples Georgia Tech, 58-55

Georgia Tech hosted the women’s basketball team in Atlanta for an ACC contest on Thursday night. The Canes improved its overall and ACC record with a 58-55 win against a solid Georgia Tech team. The team knew that it would have to bring its A-game in order to leave with a victory, and the Canes certainly did just that.

The Canes came out extremely focused on the defensive end, and stifled Georgia tech with pressure defense. Incredibly, the team held the Yellow Jackets to a total of zero points in the first five minutes of the game. Miami started out strong on the offensive end as well, hitting two three pointers in the opening minutes, allowing the Canes to sprint out to a quick 8-0 lead. However, a scrappy Georgia Tech team clawed its way back into the game and cut the lead to three at the end of the first quarter, despite only shooting 24 percent from the floor compared to the Cane’s 40 percent.

Georgia Tech kept its momentum going, capturing its first lead of the game at the beginning of the second quarter. However, sophomore forward Erykah Davenport weathered the storm almost single-handedly and helped the Canes run out to an eight-point lead at halftime.

Miami came out of the locker room at halftime and continued the hot shooting. Unfortunately, much like the men’s game at Georgia Tech on Sunday, the lady Yellow Jackets just wouldn’t go away and kept fighting their way back into the game.

The game was tight all throughout the fourth quarter and came down to the wire for the Canes. Junior forward Keyona Hayes came in clutch with multiple buckets down the stretch. Despite spotty free throw shooting toward the end of the game, Miami was able to escape with the win.

As the wins mount, the Canes will continue to climb in the national rankings and place themselves in position for an ACC title. The team will continue its journey toward the postseason Sunday at 1 p.m. against Notre Dame in the BankUnited Center.

Cody Brown

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...