Basketball, Sports

Women’s basketball topples Georgia Tech, 58-55

Georgia Tech hosted the women’s basketball team in Atlanta for an ACC contest on Thursday night. The Canes improved its overall and ACC record with a 58-55 win against a solid Georgia Tech team. The team knew that it would have to bring its A-game in order to leave with a victory, and the Canes certainly did just that.

The Canes came out extremely focused on the defensive end, and stifled Georgia tech with pressure defense. Incredibly, the team held the Yellow Jackets to a total of zero points in the first five minutes of the game. Miami started out strong on the offensive end as well, hitting two three pointers in the opening minutes, allowing the Canes to sprint out to a quick 8-0 lead. However, a scrappy Georgia Tech team clawed its way back into the game and cut the lead to three at the end of the first quarter, despite only shooting 24 percent from the floor compared to the Cane’s 40 percent.

Georgia Tech kept its momentum going, capturing its first lead of the game at the beginning of the second quarter. However, sophomore forward Erykah Davenport weathered the storm almost single-handedly and helped the Canes run out to an eight-point lead at halftime.

Miami came out of the locker room at halftime and continued the hot shooting. Unfortunately, much like the men’s game at Georgia Tech on Sunday, the lady Yellow Jackets just wouldn’t go away and kept fighting their way back into the game.

The game was tight all throughout the fourth quarter and came down to the wire for the Canes. Junior forward Keyona Hayes came in clutch with multiple buckets down the stretch. Despite spotty free throw shooting toward the end of the game, Miami was able to escape with the win.

As the wins mount, the Canes will continue to climb in the national rankings and place themselves in position for an ACC title. The team will continue its journey toward the postseason Sunday at 1 p.m. against Notre Dame in the BankUnited Center.

Cody Brown

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...