Campus Life, News

Rathskeller celebrates 43rd birthday

Students compete in a slider eating contest during the Rathskeller’s 43rd Birthday celebration Wednesday afternoon. Victoria McKaba // Assistant Photo Editor

O
riginally opened in 1973, the Rathskeller, or the “Rat,” serves as a student gathering place and a popular spot for the legal consumption of beer and wines. The birthday celebration featured a band, “Roaster and Toaster’s Mocktails,” a slider-eating contest and giveaways with tank tops and flip-flops. It marked another milestone in the Rathskeller’s journey from its old home in Gautier Hall to its current location in the Shalala Student Center (SSC). Originally established in Gautier Hall, the Rathskeller was taken apart and relocated to the University Center when the SSC was being built and settled in its current location once construction finished.

During its construction, the Rathskeller was intended to be a place where students exchanged ideas in an open and fun environment, according to Everett Price, director of the Rathskeller. Today, the Rat prides itself on allowing students to play a major part in its operation.

“[The Rathskeller] is financed by the students, designed with the help of students and ultimately [is]operated largely by the students of the university community,” Price said.

Price summed up what makes the Rathskeller at Miami special in a few concise words.

“It’s the students who make the Rathskeller special.”

Correction, Feb. 11The article originally said the Rathskeller first opened in 1976. 

Justin Lei

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Rathskeller celebrates 43rd birthday”

1. Scott Anderson says:

Who said The Rat opened in 1976? It opened in 1973. The night I was elected president of the student government (USBG) it was announced at The Rat. That was 1973.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...