Campus Life, News

Rathskeller celebrates 43rd birthday

Students compete in a slider eating contest during the Rathskeller’s 43rd Birthday celebration Wednesday afternoon. Victoria McKaba // Assistant Photo Editor

O
riginally opened in 1973, the Rathskeller, or the “Rat,” serves as a student gathering place and a popular spot for the legal consumption of beer and wines. The birthday celebration featured a band, “Roaster and Toaster’s Mocktails,” a slider-eating contest and giveaways with tank tops and flip-flops. It marked another milestone in the Rathskeller’s journey from its old home in Gautier Hall to its current location in the Shalala Student Center (SSC). Originally established in Gautier Hall, the Rathskeller was taken apart and relocated to the University Center when the SSC was being built and settled in its current location once construction finished.

During its construction, the Rathskeller was intended to be a place where students exchanged ideas in an open and fun environment, according to Everett Price, director of the Rathskeller. Today, the Rat prides itself on allowing students to play a major part in its operation.

“[The Rathskeller] is financed by the students, designed with the help of students and ultimately [is]operated largely by the students of the university community,” Price said.

Price summed up what makes the Rathskeller at Miami special in a few concise words.

“It’s the students who make the Rathskeller special.”

Correction, Feb. 11The article originally said the Rathskeller first opened in 1976. 

Justin Lei

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Rathskeller celebrates 43rd birthday”

1. Scott Anderson says:

Who said The Rat opened in 1976? It opened in 1973. The night I was elected president of the student government (USBG) it was announced at The Rat. That was 1973.

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM undergraduate students resumed classes Monday, some ready, some not, but everyone glad to be back ...

The bold vision for advancing health care education and practice manifests itself this Thursday, Sep ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...