Campus Life, News

Rathskeller celebrates 43rd birthday

Students compete in a slider eating contest during the Rathskeller’s 43rd Birthday celebration Wednesday afternoon. Victoria McKaba // Assistant Photo Editor

O
riginally opened in 1973, the Rathskeller, or the “Rat,” serves as a student gathering place and a popular spot for the legal consumption of beer and wines. The birthday celebration featured a band, “Roaster and Toaster’s Mocktails,” a slider-eating contest and giveaways with tank tops and flip-flops. It marked another milestone in the Rathskeller’s journey from its old home in Gautier Hall to its current location in the Shalala Student Center (SSC). Originally established in Gautier Hall, the Rathskeller was taken apart and relocated to the University Center when the SSC was being built and settled in its current location once construction finished.

During its construction, the Rathskeller was intended to be a place where students exchanged ideas in an open and fun environment, according to Everett Price, director of the Rathskeller. Today, the Rat prides itself on allowing students to play a major part in its operation.

“[The Rathskeller] is financed by the students, designed with the help of students and ultimately [is]operated largely by the students of the university community,” Price said.

Price summed up what makes the Rathskeller at Miami special in a few concise words.

“It’s the students who make the Rathskeller special.”

Correction, Feb. 11The article originally said the Rathskeller first opened in 1976. 

Justin Lei

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...