Campus Life, News

Rathskeller celebrates 43rd birthday

Students compete in a slider eating contest during the Rathskeller’s 43rd Birthday celebration Wednesday afternoon. Victoria McKaba // Assistant Photo Editor

O
riginally opened in 1973, the Rathskeller, or the “Rat,” serves as a student gathering place and a popular spot for the legal consumption of beer and wines. The birthday celebration featured a band, “Roaster and Toaster’s Mocktails,” a slider-eating contest and giveaways with tank tops and flip-flops. It marked another milestone in the Rathskeller’s journey from its old home in Gautier Hall to its current location in the Shalala Student Center (SSC). Originally established in Gautier Hall, the Rathskeller was taken apart and relocated to the University Center when the SSC was being built and settled in its current location once construction finished.

During its construction, the Rathskeller was intended to be a place where students exchanged ideas in an open and fun environment, according to Everett Price, director of the Rathskeller. Today, the Rat prides itself on allowing students to play a major part in its operation.

“[The Rathskeller] is financed by the students, designed with the help of students and ultimately [is]operated largely by the students of the university community,” Price said.

Price summed up what makes the Rathskeller at Miami special in a few concise words.

“It’s the students who make the Rathskeller special.”

Correction, Feb. 11The article originally said the Rathskeller first opened in 1976. 

Justin Lei

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Rathskeller celebrates 43rd birthday”

1. Scott Anderson says:

Who said The Rat opened in 1976? It opened in 1973. The night I was elected president of the student government (USBG) it was announced at The Rat. That was 1973.

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...