Campus Life, News

Rathskeller celebrates 43rd birthday

Students compete in a slider eating contest during the Rathskeller’s 43rd Birthday celebration Wednesday afternoon. Victoria McKaba // Assistant Photo Editor

O
riginally opened in 1973, the Rathskeller, or the “Rat,” serves as a student gathering place and a popular spot for the legal consumption of beer and wines. The birthday celebration featured a band, “Roaster and Toaster’s Mocktails,” a slider-eating contest and giveaways with tank tops and flip-flops. It marked another milestone in the Rathskeller’s journey from its old home in Gautier Hall to its current location in the Shalala Student Center (SSC). Originally established in Gautier Hall, the Rathskeller was taken apart and relocated to the University Center when the SSC was being built and settled in its current location once construction finished.

During its construction, the Rathskeller was intended to be a place where students exchanged ideas in an open and fun environment, according to Everett Price, director of the Rathskeller. Today, the Rat prides itself on allowing students to play a major part in its operation.

“[The Rathskeller] is financed by the students, designed with the help of students and ultimately [is]operated largely by the students of the university community,” Price said.

Price summed up what makes the Rathskeller at Miami special in a few concise words.

“It’s the students who make the Rathskeller special.”

Correction, Feb. 11The article originally said the Rathskeller first opened in 1976. 

Justin Lei

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Rathskeller celebrates 43rd birthday”

1. Scott Anderson says:

Who said The Rat opened in 1976? It opened in 1973. The night I was elected president of the student government (USBG) it was announced at The Rat. That was 1973.

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...