Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Miami Women’s track wins Armory Invitational

Senior Alysha Newman set a school record in the women's pole vault at 4.50m during the Armory Track Invitational in New York. She is pictured here at the 2014 Miami Invitational track meet. File photo

Senior Alysha Newman set a school record in the women’s pole vault at 4.50m during the Armory Track Invitational in New York. She is pictured here at the 2014 Miami Invitational track meet. File photo

The No. 16-ranked Miami women’s track team won the 2016 Armory Track Invitational in New York City over the weekend.

In the women’s weight throw, Precious Ogunleye and Tiffany Okieme had a one-two finish. Ogunleye’s 21.27-meter throw was the third-best in UM history and a new personal record. Okieme was just behind her with a throw of 20.55 meters.

Senior Alysha Newman set a new school record in her second-place pole vault jump of 4.50 meters, the second-best mark recorded in the NCAA this season.

Junior Ebony Morrison won the women’s 60-meter hurdles, setting a new personal best at 8.22 seconds. Morrison’s time ranks fifth-best in the event in school history.

Placing fifth in the women’s mile was Anne Den Otter. With a run of 4:59.72, the freshman became the third member of the women’s track team to run the event in under five minutes.

In the women’s 4×400-meter relay, the two relay teams finished second in different categories. Erin Ford, Jamika Glades, Anthonia Moore and Samantha Gonzalez ran in the four-heat college division, while Aiyanna Stiverne, Brittny Ellis, Destiny Washington and Shakima Wimbley ran against four other schools in the invitational division. The teams had respective times of 3:44.74 and 3:36.41.

Wimbley, a 2015 Indoor All-American in two events, also won the 400-meter dash in 52.90 seconds.

For the men, Carlos Mangum won the weight throw, notching a 19.68-meter throw. Coming off last season’s Indoor All-American campaign in three events, John-Patrick Friday finished fourth in the triple jump at 15.32-meter. Henri Delauze, Anthony Wolliston, Joseph Ryan and Thomas Gassner earned fourth place in the men’s 4×400-meter relay at 3:18.19. David Njoku, who also plays tight end on the football team, placed sixth in the men’s high jump at 2.03-meters.

The track team will compete in two different meets next weekend. The first is the Tyson Invitational, one of the biggest meets in the indoor season, at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. The other is the LSU High Performance Meet in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Chloe Harrison

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...