Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Miami Women’s track wins Armory Invitational

Senior Alysha Newman set a school record in the women's pole vault at 4.50m during the Armory Track Invitational in New York. She is pictured here at the 2014 Miami Invitational track meet. File photo

Senior Alysha Newman set a school record in the women’s pole vault at 4.50m during the Armory Track Invitational in New York. She is pictured here at the 2014 Miami Invitational track meet. File photo

The No. 16-ranked Miami women’s track team won the 2016 Armory Track Invitational in New York City over the weekend.

In the women’s weight throw, Precious Ogunleye and Tiffany Okieme had a one-two finish. Ogunleye’s 21.27-meter throw was the third-best in UM history and a new personal record. Okieme was just behind her with a throw of 20.55 meters.

Senior Alysha Newman set a new school record in her second-place pole vault jump of 4.50 meters, the second-best mark recorded in the NCAA this season.

Junior Ebony Morrison won the women’s 60-meter hurdles, setting a new personal best at 8.22 seconds. Morrison’s time ranks fifth-best in the event in school history.

Placing fifth in the women’s mile was Anne Den Otter. With a run of 4:59.72, the freshman became the third member of the women’s track team to run the event in under five minutes.

In the women’s 4×400-meter relay, the two relay teams finished second in different categories. Erin Ford, Jamika Glades, Anthonia Moore and Samantha Gonzalez ran in the four-heat college division, while Aiyanna Stiverne, Brittny Ellis, Destiny Washington and Shakima Wimbley ran against four other schools in the invitational division. The teams had respective times of 3:44.74 and 3:36.41.

Wimbley, a 2015 Indoor All-American in two events, also won the 400-meter dash in 52.90 seconds.

For the men, Carlos Mangum won the weight throw, notching a 19.68-meter throw. Coming off last season’s Indoor All-American campaign in three events, John-Patrick Friday finished fourth in the triple jump at 15.32-meter. Henri Delauze, Anthony Wolliston, Joseph Ryan and Thomas Gassner earned fourth place in the men’s 4×400-meter relay at 3:18.19. David Njoku, who also plays tight end on the football team, placed sixth in the men’s high jump at 2.03-meters.

The track team will compete in two different meets next weekend. The first is the Tyson Invitational, one of the biggest meets in the indoor season, at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. The other is the LSU High Performance Meet in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Chloe Harrison

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...