Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Miami Women’s track wins Armory Invitational

Senior Alysha Newman set a school record in the women's pole vault at 4.50m during the Armory Track Invitational in New York. She is pictured here at the 2014 Miami Invitational track meet. File photo

Senior Alysha Newman set a school record in the women’s pole vault at 4.50m during the Armory Track Invitational in New York. She is pictured here at the 2014 Miami Invitational track meet. File photo

The No. 16-ranked Miami women’s track team won the 2016 Armory Track Invitational in New York City over the weekend.

In the women’s weight throw, Precious Ogunleye and Tiffany Okieme had a one-two finish. Ogunleye’s 21.27-meter throw was the third-best in UM history and a new personal record. Okieme was just behind her with a throw of 20.55 meters.

Senior Alysha Newman set a new school record in her second-place pole vault jump of 4.50 meters, the second-best mark recorded in the NCAA this season.

Junior Ebony Morrison won the women’s 60-meter hurdles, setting a new personal best at 8.22 seconds. Morrison’s time ranks fifth-best in the event in school history.

Placing fifth in the women’s mile was Anne Den Otter. With a run of 4:59.72, the freshman became the third member of the women’s track team to run the event in under five minutes.

In the women’s 4×400-meter relay, the two relay teams finished second in different categories. Erin Ford, Jamika Glades, Anthonia Moore and Samantha Gonzalez ran in the four-heat college division, while Aiyanna Stiverne, Brittny Ellis, Destiny Washington and Shakima Wimbley ran against four other schools in the invitational division. The teams had respective times of 3:44.74 and 3:36.41.

Wimbley, a 2015 Indoor All-American in two events, also won the 400-meter dash in 52.90 seconds.

For the men, Carlos Mangum won the weight throw, notching a 19.68-meter throw. Coming off last season’s Indoor All-American campaign in three events, John-Patrick Friday finished fourth in the triple jump at 15.32-meter. Henri Delauze, Anthony Wolliston, Joseph Ryan and Thomas Gassner earned fourth place in the men’s 4×400-meter relay at 3:18.19. David Njoku, who also plays tight end on the football team, placed sixth in the men’s high jump at 2.03-meters.

The track team will compete in two different meets next weekend. The first is the Tyson Invitational, one of the biggest meets in the indoor season, at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. The other is the LSU High Performance Meet in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Chloe Harrison

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Due to anticipated inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...

Sixth-seeded Miami owns a spot in the ACC semifinals after rallying past third-seeded Wake Forest. ...