Sports, Tennis

Hurricanes tennis go 1-2 in ITA tournament

Sophomore Wendy Zhang hits a forearm shot during the Hurricanes’ January matchup against Georgia Tech. Zhang had a match point to beat Texas Tech, but ultimately lost the match in three sets during the ITA National Team Indoor Championship. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

The No. 11 Hurricanes dropped their first two matches of the season at the ITA National Team Indoor Championship held in Wisconsin over the weekend. After losing 4-2 to No. 12 Michigan on Friday and 4-3 to No. 17 Texas Tech on Saturday, Miami secured a 4-3 win against No. 10 Oklahoma State on Sunday to close out the tournament.

Miami played in the 16-team tournament for the 12th consecutive year. The Canes got off to a rough start against the Wolverines on Friday with the duo of senior Stephanie Wagner and sophomore Wendy Zhang dropping the first doubles match, 6-1. Michigan clinched the doubles point shortly after, but Miami pulled ahead by winning the first two singles matches.

The lead was short-lived. Wagner, the No. 9-ranked player in the country, lost her singles match to No. 19 Brienne Minor in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4. Michigan sealed the victory with No. 17 Ronit Yurovsky’s three-set win over sophomore Sinead Lohan, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4.

The Canes then lost to Texas Tech on Saturday after having a chance to win the match up 3-1. Zhang led 5-2 in the second set and had a match point against Sabrina Federici, but the former No. 1 junior in Great Britain rallied back to defeat Zhang. Texas Tech’s Sarah Dvorak downed senior Clementina Riobueno in a three-set battle, 7-6 (8-6), 4-6, 6-4, for the 4-3 victory.

Miami (4-2, 1-0) bounced back to take a close match against Oklahoma State on Sunday. Wagner and Zhang started the day by beating the No. 9 doubles pair of Maria Alvarez and Kelsey Laurente, 6-2. Oklahoma State won the next two doubles matches for the doubles point, but Miami excelled in singles play.

Wagner dominated No. 27 Katarina Adamovic, 6-1, 6-1, in her singles match. Lohan, the No. 7-ranked player in the country, then came back after the dropping first set beating No. 38 Vladica Babic, 2-6, 6-2, 6-0. Zhang clinched the victory for Miami by taking down Laurente in three sets, 6-3, 2-6, 6-3, in the final singles match.

The Canes next play Baylor at 11 a.m. on Feb. 15 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Mark Singer

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...