Sports, Tennis

Hurricanes tennis go 1-2 in ITA tournament

Sophomore Wendy Zhang hits a forearm shot during the Hurricanes’ January matchup against Georgia Tech. Zhang had a match point to beat Texas Tech, but ultimately lost the match in three sets during the ITA National Team Indoor Championship. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

The No. 11 Hurricanes dropped their first two matches of the season at the ITA National Team Indoor Championship held in Wisconsin over the weekend. After losing 4-2 to No. 12 Michigan on Friday and 4-3 to No. 17 Texas Tech on Saturday, Miami secured a 4-3 win against No. 10 Oklahoma State on Sunday to close out the tournament.

Miami played in the 16-team tournament for the 12th consecutive year. The Canes got off to a rough start against the Wolverines on Friday with the duo of senior Stephanie Wagner and sophomore Wendy Zhang dropping the first doubles match, 6-1. Michigan clinched the doubles point shortly after, but Miami pulled ahead by winning the first two singles matches.

The lead was short-lived. Wagner, the No. 9-ranked player in the country, lost her singles match to No. 19 Brienne Minor in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4. Michigan sealed the victory with No. 17 Ronit Yurovsky’s three-set win over sophomore Sinead Lohan, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4.

The Canes then lost to Texas Tech on Saturday after having a chance to win the match up 3-1. Zhang led 5-2 in the second set and had a match point against Sabrina Federici, but the former No. 1 junior in Great Britain rallied back to defeat Zhang. Texas Tech’s Sarah Dvorak downed senior Clementina Riobueno in a three-set battle, 7-6 (8-6), 4-6, 6-4, for the 4-3 victory.

Miami (4-2, 1-0) bounced back to take a close match against Oklahoma State on Sunday. Wagner and Zhang started the day by beating the No. 9 doubles pair of Maria Alvarez and Kelsey Laurente, 6-2. Oklahoma State won the next two doubles matches for the doubles point, but Miami excelled in singles play.

Wagner dominated No. 27 Katarina Adamovic, 6-1, 6-1, in her singles match. Lohan, the No. 7-ranked player in the country, then came back after the dropping first set beating No. 38 Vladica Babic, 2-6, 6-2, 6-0. Zhang clinched the victory for Miami by taking down Laurente in three sets, 6-3, 2-6, 6-3, in the final singles match.

The Canes next play Baylor at 11 a.m. on Feb. 15 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Mark Singer

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...