Campus Life, Community, News, Video

FunDay volunteers foster close personal connections with disabled community

Last year’s service day was widespread throughout the campus, with activity stations spread across the center of campus from the Foote Green to the Shalala Student Center. This year, however, the FunDay executive board decided it was time to bring back the intimate “community” feel, according to senior and Funding Chair Micaela Nannery.

“We felt that it had [become]a little too widespread,” Nannery said. “We wanted to make sure that there were enough personal connections.”

FunDay pairs more than 350 special-needs citizens, or “buddies,” from the Miami-Dade area with student volunteers for a day of games, food and fun. More than 650 University of Miami students participated.

Sophomore Earl Generato said he participated because he had a neighbor with special needs growing up and understood the struggles they have in society. He said he remembers how the other kids in his neighborhood would stigmatize his neighbor for “being different.”

“This day is really about just understanding that we are all the same,” Generato said. “We all have the same arms and legs. We’re all human.”

Freshman Taylor McCloskey and her FunDay partner Susy share a laugh in the University Center Saturday afternoon. FunDay is the longest standing service day at the University of Miami and brings over 300 special citizens from the surrounding area on campus to enjoy a day of fun and games. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

This year’s theme for FunDay was Around the World. Attendees participated in crafts like decorating passports, watch student-led dance performances and play different instruments, including bongos.

Nannery, who first volunteered as a freshman, said the purpose of the event was to have fun but also to bridge the the gap of misconceptions and prejudice that exists when interacting with intellectually disabled people.

“We want to promote positive relationships, especially among young students and our buddies,” she said.

Sophomore Angelica Previero said she volunteered for FunDay exactly for that reason—to have a positive relationship with her buddy, one borne out of a feeling of safety and connection.

“It’s great day for them to come out to a safe environment and connect with other people who are really just like them,” she said.

About Author

Amanda Herrera

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...