Fears of higher federal interest rates exagerrated

stevepb / Pixabay

It has been more than six weeks since the Federal Reserve chose to raise interest rates for the first time in years. Much has happened in 2016 already, including the Bank of Japan’s decision to introduce negative interest rates. In this climate, many expected the Fed to back down and bring rates back to where they were before or even lower. However, that would be a mistake. Recently, the Fed chose to stay the course and to leave interest rates unchanged for the next month or so.

January has been marked by pessimism. Investors have become wary of China’s ability to grow its economy in the long term and oil prices have fallen, meaning that the stock market has been steadily dropping for the last month. Many have tried to draw a link to the interest rates by saying that an increase in rates has led to companies borrowing less, and as a result, not performing as well. Although companies do not borrow at the Federal Reserve rate, the changes it makes causes ripples throughout the financial world.

The key difference is that the months prior to the Fed decision were the aberration, not the norm. Cheap borrowing is dangerous and a similar situation contributed to the collapse of the housing market and the most recent recession. Obviously, borrowing is not the evil. This is why the increase was relatively small in order to not completely kill off borrowing.

Moreover, the Federal Reserve is interested in the economy of America as a whole. It tends to favor the labor market over the stock market. There is plenty of reason for optimism: 151,000 jobs were added this January; while not particularly large relative to other months, this figure is certainly reason to celebrate. The unemployment rate is the lowest it has been in years, no cause for alarm there.

Certainly, this could be a sign of something bigger and more dangerous. It could absolutely lead to another downturn. At the same time, recessions have been predicted as being over the horizon since the last one. A joke among economists is that they have successfully predicted nine out of the last five recessions.

Ultimately, the Federal Reserve’s decision to raise interest rates in December and leave them flat in January was the right one. By balancing the need to maintain the health of the economy against fears that a larger increase would cause a serious destabilization, they have charted the best possible course. But that won’t stop people from complaining about it.

Andrew Langen is a junior majoring in economics and math.

Andrew Langen

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami women's tennis team is set to begin its 2017 fall season this weekend, with the major ...

The Miami Hurricanes evacuated Coral Gables ahead of Hurricane Irma and now they move forward as a f ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns to the court this weekend to host Virginia Tech and ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team opens its 2017-18 season Friday at the eighth ann ...

The Hurricanes will be playing for all of South Florida when they host Toledo on Saturday at Hard Ro ...