Campus Life, Finance, News

Business school alumni promote Bloomberg Terminal

Attendees ask questions to speaker Owen Minde of Bloomberg Finance during the School of Business’ event “Lunch with Bloomberg” Friday morning in the Storer Auditorium. Julianna Kolakowski // Contributing Photographer

Attendees ask questions to speaker Adam Umanoff of Bloomberg Finance during the School of Business’s event “Lunch with Bloomberg” Friday morning in the Storer Auditorium. Julianna Kolakowski // Contributing Photographer

Adam Umanoff and Owen Minde of Bloomberg Finance were at the University of Miami’s School of Business Friday to discuss the capabilities of the Bloomberg Terminal, a computer system that provides financial data to users.

The terminal acts as a database that stores all sorts of information related to industries that Bloomberg reports on. It acts as a large business library, updating in real-time, providing news from every major news outlet on any subject in the business world.

The event, named “Lunch with Bloomberg,” was put together by Ignacio Fernandez, a Master of Business Administration candidate for 2016. The objective was to show students how to leverage Bloomberg tools, set themselves apart and get set up with the terminal as well as to discuss the partnership with UM. According to Umanoff, Bloomberg provides data, analytics, news, communication tools, electronic trading and superior customer service.

“We’re here to show you, really, the power of Bloomberg,” Minde said. “It’s an extremely powerful tool.”

Minde began his presentation with a broad view of the current global economy. He then analyzed certain countries and eventually made his way to the information the tool provides for the U.S. Minde showcased the Bloomberg platform and what it can provide the user with.

One current theme that he felt was interesting was the Chinese currency, the yuan, and its entrance into the global economy. Through the use of the terminal, Minde was able to use the risk-assessment tool to compare risks across countries and to show how China’s is considerably low, according to the tool.

“Bloomberg provides us with a wealth of information about each and every country,” Minde said.

One noteworthy comparison he presented was the Florida 50 Index, which shows the companies that drive Florida’s economy. This index was created and made public just last week by the University of Miami and their partnership with S&P 1500.

After showcasing the terminal, Umanoff spoke briefly about the Bloomberg Institute. In partnership with UM, according to its website, the institute “infuses financial training with the same transparency, efficiency and clarity we bring to our core businesses through Bloomberg Market Concepts (BMC).” BMC is an eight-hour, self-paced online learning course outside of the accessible terminal. This tool allows students to gain information about certain private-sector concepts. It also provides students with a platform where they can post their resumes and connect with recruiters from companies like Goldman Sachs.

Umanoff stresses the necessity of knowing the industry before an interview. The Bloomberg Terminal, along with BMC, has the information that would give students the upper hand going into the job market. According to Umanoff, UM provides a certain number of free certifications for students interested in the BMC course.

The goal of this event, according to Fernandez, was to expose students to the tool that is available on campus for students to use. It is very useful for gaining information about any task a student may need it for, whether that’s homework, studying for a company interview or finding jobs.

“Bloomberg is a window to see the world of finance,” Fernandez said.

Jorge Chabo