Basketball, Sports

Miami women’s basketball earns tough win against Boston College, 67-62

The women’s basketball team traveled north to Chestnut Hill Thursday to defeat the Boston College Eagles 67-62. The Canes looked to build upon its impressive road record and to pick up the seventh road win of the season as the team tipped off at 7 p.m.

The Eagles made it clear from the start that getting that seventh road win would be no small feat on the home court. The team came out hot with an eight-point lead by end of the first quarter, but the Canes kept its composure and regrouped to start the second quarter.

The defense clamped down on the Eagles and held them scoreless for a full six-minute stretch to start the second quarter. The offense wasn’t prolific by any means, but redshirt senior guard Michelle Woods was able to jumpstart a run by the Canes by disrupting passing lanes and grabbing two steals that led to easy points. The Canes relentlessly attacked the basket for the rest of the half and were able to convert, going a perfect 10-for-10 from the charity stripe in the first half. This led to the Eagles’ lead being cut to two points as the teams headed into the locker rooms at halftime.

Sophomore forward Khaila Prather continued to anchor the defense and protect the rim in the second half, as the girls were able to take their first lead of the game towards the end of a tightly contested third period. Junior guard Adrienne Motley hit a couple timely threes in the third session that allowed Miami to head into the fourth quarter ahead 47-40. Junior guard Jessica Thomas took the lead from there and guided the team to its 19th win of the season after sinking a career-high eight free throws in the game.

The women’s team proved that they are a force to be reckoned with nationally after showing a great amount of toughness and leaving Chestnut Hill with a hard-fought win on Thursday night. The team proved that it could win even when the offense isn’t at its best. The Canes stuck to the fundamentals and grinded out a key ACC victory by locking up their opponents on the defensive end and making a season-high 18 free throws.

The Canes seek to continue its ascension into the national rankings when they play ACC rival Duke 1 p.m. Sunday in the BankUnited Center.

Feature photo courtesy HurricaneSports.com

Cody Brown

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — The coach of University of Miami’s next opponent, one of the youngest college foo ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clear Sunday, just minutes after stepping foot ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

With Hurricane Irma past them, the Hurricanes are fully focused on their matchup against Toledo on S ...

View some of the best images from the Miami women's tennis team's picture day in advance o ...

The men's cross country team moved up one spot to No. 14 in the South Region in the NCAA Divisi ...

Following a stretch of 17 days without a match due to Hurricane Irma, the Miami soccer team will be ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will have its fall season opener delayed by a week. ...