Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Super Bowl 2016 preview, predictions, prop bets

At the beginning of the NFL season, I predicted the Colts would defeat the Packers in the Super Bowl in one of my blogs. Although I was completely wrong, I did correctly say that the Patriots would lose in the AFC championship game.

Nevertheless, the Carolina Panthers square off against the Denver Broncos Sunday Feb. 7. at Levi Stadium in Santa Clara, California.

While the Panthers come in favored led by potential NFL MVP Cam Newton, I believe they will be heavily challenged by the Broncos defense.

Broncos Pass Defense will limit Cam Newton

It starts at the cornerback position, where the Broncos have two all-pro players. Aqib Talib leads the Broncos with three interceptions, including two of them returned for a touchdown. He will not allow any big plays to Panthers wide receivers Corey Brown or Ted Ginn Jr.

Chris Harris Jr. is also a pro bowl CB for the Broncos who will cause matchup problems for the Panthers WR who are not a major threat.

The Panthers best pass option is tight end Greg Olsen who has had a superb year with 77 receptions, 1,104 receiving yards and seven touchdowns, according to NFL.com.

I do not expect for Newton to throw for more than 200 yards.

Can the Outside Linebackers get to Newton?

Outside linebackers Von Miller and Demarcus Ware are the leaders of the Broncos front seven who were also selected to go to the Pro Bowl. Miller leads the team with 11 sacks while Ware has 7.5 sacks, according to ESPN.com. They will have to try to contain Newton in the pocket and not allow him to run down field. Newton will likely convert key third downs on scrambles.

On the other side of the ball, the Broncos are led by future hall of fame QB Peyton Manning, who will want to build on his legacy with a second super bowl victory.

He will find success by throwing to whomever Panthers all-pro CB Josh Norman is not covering. Emmanuel Sanders might be called on to have a large day for the Broncos.

It will be a tight one, but I see the Broncos finding a way to pull it by scoring with less than one minute left to seal the game, thanks to your Super Bowl MVP Peyton Manning.

I predict the Broncos will beat the Panthers, 31-24.

Wyatt Geller

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM undergraduate students resumed classes Monday, some ready, some not, but everyone glad to be back ...

The bold vision for advancing health care education and practice manifests itself this Thursday, Sep ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...