Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Super Bowl 2016 preview, predictions, prop bets

At the beginning of the NFL season, I predicted the Colts would defeat the Packers in the Super Bowl in one of my blogs. Although I was completely wrong, I did correctly say that the Patriots would lose in the AFC championship game.

Nevertheless, the Carolina Panthers square off against the Denver Broncos Sunday Feb. 7. at Levi Stadium in Santa Clara, California.

While the Panthers come in favored led by potential NFL MVP Cam Newton, I believe they will be heavily challenged by the Broncos defense.

Broncos Pass Defense will limit Cam Newton

It starts at the cornerback position, where the Broncos have two all-pro players. Aqib Talib leads the Broncos with three interceptions, including two of them returned for a touchdown. He will not allow any big plays to Panthers wide receivers Corey Brown or Ted Ginn Jr.

Chris Harris Jr. is also a pro bowl CB for the Broncos who will cause matchup problems for the Panthers WR who are not a major threat.

The Panthers best pass option is tight end Greg Olsen who has had a superb year with 77 receptions, 1,104 receiving yards and seven touchdowns, according to NFL.com.

I do not expect for Newton to throw for more than 200 yards.

Can the Outside Linebackers get to Newton?

Outside linebackers Von Miller and Demarcus Ware are the leaders of the Broncos front seven who were also selected to go to the Pro Bowl. Miller leads the team with 11 sacks while Ware has 7.5 sacks, according to ESPN.com. They will have to try to contain Newton in the pocket and not allow him to run down field. Newton will likely convert key third downs on scrambles.

On the other side of the ball, the Broncos are led by future hall of fame QB Peyton Manning, who will want to build on his legacy with a second super bowl victory.

He will find success by throwing to whomever Panthers all-pro CB Josh Norman is not covering. Emmanuel Sanders might be called on to have a large day for the Broncos.

It will be a tight one, but I see the Broncos finding a way to pull it by scoring with less than one minute left to seal the game, thanks to your Super Bowl MVP Peyton Manning.

I predict the Broncos will beat the Panthers, 31-24.

Wyatt Geller

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...