News Briefs 2/4: Nap Pods, Recyclemania, Black Awareness Month, LGBT Resource Center

Nap Pods

The university will unveil two nap pods, chairs designed to promote short rests during the workday, in the Donna E. Shalala Student Center and the Whitten University Center on Monday. The pods will be located on the second floor in the student organization suites.

Recyclemania Kick-Off

Recyclemania, a one month-long recycling competition between Florida universities and colleges, will begin Thursday at an event on the Rock. Green U will have art, games, food and prizes for attendees from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

“Know Justice, Know Peace 2”

United Black Students will host its second “Know Justice, Know Peace” panel over the course of three sessions during February in honor of Black Awareness Month. Professors Paula Ioanide, Rashawn Ray and Eduardo Bonilla-Silva will discuss issues related to race and justice on:

• Feb. 10 at 3:30 p.m. in the CAS Gallery
  • Feb. 11 at 7 p.m. in the Shalala Student Center Ballroom East
  • Feb. 12 at 3:30 p.m. in the Learning Center 140

LGBT Resource Center Discussion Meetings

Ronni Sanlo, an expert on LGBT issues, will be hosting a series of daylong meetings to help plan the creation of the University of Miami’s on-campus LGBTQ resource center. Members of the UM community are encouraged to participate and to voice their opinions at the meetings on Feb. 16 and Feb. 17. Registration is available through OrgSync and closes Feb. 12.

To register to participate, visit https://orgsync.com/66920/forms/181104. Registration closes on Feb. 12.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at icueto@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto.

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...