News Briefs 2/4: Nap Pods, Recyclemania, Black Awareness Month, LGBT Resource Center

Nap Pods

The university will unveil two nap pods, chairs designed to promote short rests during the workday, in the Donna E. Shalala Student Center and the Whitten University Center on Monday. The pods will be located on the second floor in the student organization suites.

Recyclemania Kick-Off

Recyclemania, a one month-long recycling competition between Florida universities and colleges, will begin Thursday at an event on the Rock. Green U will have art, games, food and prizes for attendees from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

“Know Justice, Know Peace 2”

United Black Students will host its second “Know Justice, Know Peace” panel over the course of three sessions during February in honor of Black Awareness Month. Professors Paula Ioanide, Rashawn Ray and Eduardo Bonilla-Silva will discuss issues related to race and justice on:

• Feb. 10 at 3:30 p.m. in the CAS Gallery
  • Feb. 11 at 7 p.m. in the Shalala Student Center Ballroom East
  • Feb. 12 at 3:30 p.m. in the Learning Center 140

LGBT Resource Center Discussion Meetings

Ronni Sanlo, an expert on LGBT issues, will be hosting a series of daylong meetings to help plan the creation of the University of Miami’s on-campus LGBTQ resource center. Members of the UM community are encouraged to participate and to voice their opinions at the meetings on Feb. 16 and Feb. 17. Registration is available through OrgSync and closes Feb. 12.

To register to participate, visit https://orgsync.com/66920/forms/181104. Registration closes on Feb. 12.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...