News Briefs 2/4: Nap Pods, Recyclemania, Black Awareness Month, LGBT Resource Center

Nap Pods

The university will unveil two nap pods, chairs designed to promote short rests during the workday, in the Donna E. Shalala Student Center and the Whitten University Center on Monday. The pods will be located on the second floor in the student organization suites.

Recyclemania Kick-Off

Recyclemania, a one month-long recycling competition between Florida universities and colleges, will begin Thursday at an event on the Rock. Green U will have art, games, food and prizes for attendees from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

“Know Justice, Know Peace 2”

United Black Students will host its second “Know Justice, Know Peace” panel over the course of three sessions during February in honor of Black Awareness Month. Professors Paula Ioanide, Rashawn Ray and Eduardo Bonilla-Silva will discuss issues related to race and justice on:

• Feb. 10 at 3:30 p.m. in the CAS Gallery
  • Feb. 11 at 7 p.m. in the Shalala Student Center Ballroom East
  • Feb. 12 at 3:30 p.m. in the Learning Center 140

LGBT Resource Center Discussion Meetings

Ronni Sanlo, an expert on LGBT issues, will be hosting a series of daylong meetings to help plan the creation of the University of Miami’s on-campus LGBTQ resource center. Members of the UM community are encouraged to participate and to voice their opinions at the meetings on Feb. 16 and Feb. 17. Registration is available through OrgSync and closes Feb. 12.

To register to participate, visit https://orgsync.com/66920/forms/181104. Registration closes on Feb. 12.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at icueto@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto.

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...