News Briefs 2/4: Nap Pods, Recyclemania, Black Awareness Month, LGBT Resource Center

Nap Pods

The university will unveil two nap pods, chairs designed to promote short rests during the workday, in the Donna E. Shalala Student Center and the Whitten University Center on Monday. The pods will be located on the second floor in the student organization suites.

Recyclemania Kick-Off

Recyclemania, a one month-long recycling competition between Florida universities and colleges, will begin Thursday at an event on the Rock. Green U will have art, games, food and prizes for attendees from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

“Know Justice, Know Peace 2”

United Black Students will host its second “Know Justice, Know Peace” panel over the course of three sessions during February in honor of Black Awareness Month. Professors Paula Ioanide, Rashawn Ray and Eduardo Bonilla-Silva will discuss issues related to race and justice on:

• Feb. 10 at 3:30 p.m. in the CAS Gallery
  • Feb. 11 at 7 p.m. in the Shalala Student Center Ballroom East
  • Feb. 12 at 3:30 p.m. in the Learning Center 140

LGBT Resource Center Discussion Meetings

Ronni Sanlo, an expert on LGBT issues, will be hosting a series of daylong meetings to help plan the creation of the University of Miami’s on-campus LGBTQ resource center. Members of the UM community are encouraged to participate and to voice their opinions at the meetings on Feb. 16 and Feb. 17. Registration is available through OrgSync and closes Feb. 12.

To register to participate, visit https://orgsync.com/66920/forms/181104. Registration closes on Feb. 12.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...