News Briefs 2/4: Nap Pods, Recyclemania, Black Awareness Month, LGBT Resource Center

Nap Pods

The university will unveil two nap pods, chairs designed to promote short rests during the workday, in the Donna E. Shalala Student Center and the Whitten University Center on Monday. The pods will be located on the second floor in the student organization suites.

Recyclemania Kick-Off

Recyclemania, a one month-long recycling competition between Florida universities and colleges, will begin Thursday at an event on the Rock. Green U will have art, games, food and prizes for attendees from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

“Know Justice, Know Peace 2”

United Black Students will host its second “Know Justice, Know Peace” panel over the course of three sessions during February in honor of Black Awareness Month. Professors Paula Ioanide, Rashawn Ray and Eduardo Bonilla-Silva will discuss issues related to race and justice on:

• Feb. 10 at 3:30 p.m. in the CAS Gallery
  • Feb. 11 at 7 p.m. in the Shalala Student Center Ballroom East
  • Feb. 12 at 3:30 p.m. in the Learning Center 140

LGBT Resource Center Discussion Meetings

Ronni Sanlo, an expert on LGBT issues, will be hosting a series of daylong meetings to help plan the creation of the University of Miami’s on-campus LGBTQ resource center. Members of the UM community are encouraged to participate and to voice their opinions at the meetings on Feb. 16 and Feb. 17. Registration is available through OrgSync and closes Feb. 12.

To register to participate, visit https://orgsync.com/66920/forms/181104. Registration closes on Feb. 12.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...