Campus Life, News

Senate Recap: DragOut, Greek Week, Engineer’s Week Bill

DragOut

A bill passed to provide funds to SpectrUM, the University of Miami’s undergraduate LGBT organization, for its DragOut event.

DragOut is an annual drag show that will be held at the Rat on Feb. 19. It will be hosted by Tiffany Fantasia, a professional drag queen, and will feature special guests along with UM students in drag. The show is free and open to everyone, although there are also V.I.P. tickets that include preferred seating and wait service during the event.

Performers are needed for DragOut. Students can sign up on the SpectrUM Facebook page.

Greek Week

The Association of Greek Letter Organizations presented a bill requesting funds for its event Greek Week. The bill passed.

Greek Week will run from Feb. 21-28. It will feature events hosted by different Greek organizations including a blood drive, fundraisers and chariot races.

Engineer’s Week Bill

Senate passed a bill presented by the Engineering Advisory Board requesting funds for Engineer’s Week.

As the umbrella organization for the College of Engineering, the advisory board hosts all events associated with the College of Engineering. Engineer’s Week will run from Feb. 20-29. It will feature events such as UHack, a 24-hour hackathon, and an experiment with Concrete Canoe.

One of its main events, Game Day, will feature a duct tape competition, hamster ball races and a gladiator pit.

According to the advisory board, the goal is to increase the presence of the College of Engineering on campus and to create a sense of community.

Notes:

The top three names for the customized UM Coca-Cola soda have been selected. An email will be sent out soon for voting.

An Anti-Valentine’s Day Bake Sale will be held Thursday, Feb. 11, when passersby can pie student leaders in the face.

Jorge Chabo

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...