Campus Life, News

Senate Recap: DragOut, Greek Week, Engineer’s Week Bill

DragOut

A bill passed to provide funds to SpectrUM, the University of Miami’s undergraduate LGBT organization, for its DragOut event.

DragOut is an annual drag show that will be held at the Rat on Feb. 19. It will be hosted by Tiffany Fantasia, a professional drag queen, and will feature special guests along with UM students in drag. The show is free and open to everyone, although there are also V.I.P. tickets that include preferred seating and wait service during the event.

Performers are needed for DragOut. Students can sign up on the SpectrUM Facebook page.

Greek Week

The Association of Greek Letter Organizations presented a bill requesting funds for its event Greek Week. The bill passed.

Greek Week will run from Feb. 21-28. It will feature events hosted by different Greek organizations including a blood drive, fundraisers and chariot races.

Engineer’s Week Bill

Senate passed a bill presented by the Engineering Advisory Board requesting funds for Engineer’s Week.

As the umbrella organization for the College of Engineering, the advisory board hosts all events associated with the College of Engineering. Engineer’s Week will run from Feb. 20-29. It will feature events such as UHack, a 24-hour hackathon, and an experiment with Concrete Canoe.

One of its main events, Game Day, will feature a duct tape competition, hamster ball races and a gladiator pit.

According to the advisory board, the goal is to increase the presence of the College of Engineering on campus and to create a sense of community.

Notes:

The top three names for the customized UM Coca-Cola soda have been selected. An email will be sent out soon for voting.

An Anti-Valentine’s Day Bake Sale will be held Thursday, Feb. 11, when passersby can pie student leaders in the face.

Jorge Chabo

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...