Campus Life, News

Senate Recap: DragOut, Greek Week, Engineer’s Week Bill

DragOut

A bill passed to provide funds to SpectrUM, the University of Miami’s undergraduate LGBT organization, for its DragOut event.

DragOut is an annual drag show that will be held at the Rat on Feb. 19. It will be hosted by Tiffany Fantasia, a professional drag queen, and will feature special guests along with UM students in drag. The show is free and open to everyone, although there are also V.I.P. tickets that include preferred seating and wait service during the event.

Performers are needed for DragOut. Students can sign up on the SpectrUM Facebook page.

Greek Week

The Association of Greek Letter Organizations presented a bill requesting funds for its event Greek Week. The bill passed.

Greek Week will run from Feb. 21-28. It will feature events hosted by different Greek organizations including a blood drive, fundraisers and chariot races.

Engineer’s Week Bill

Senate passed a bill presented by the Engineering Advisory Board requesting funds for Engineer’s Week.

As the umbrella organization for the College of Engineering, the advisory board hosts all events associated with the College of Engineering. Engineer’s Week will run from Feb. 20-29. It will feature events such as UHack, a 24-hour hackathon, and an experiment with Concrete Canoe.

One of its main events, Game Day, will feature a duct tape competition, hamster ball races and a gladiator pit.

According to the advisory board, the goal is to increase the presence of the College of Engineering on campus and to create a sense of community.

Notes:

The top three names for the customized UM Coca-Cola soda have been selected. An email will be sent out soon for voting.

An Anti-Valentine’s Day Bake Sale will be held Thursday, Feb. 11, when passersby can pie student leaders in the face.

Jorge Chabo

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...