Campus Life, News

Senate Recap: DragOut, Greek Week, Engineer’s Week Bill

DragOut

A bill passed to provide funds to SpectrUM, the University of Miami’s undergraduate LGBT organization, for its DragOut event.

DragOut is an annual drag show that will be held at the Rat on Feb. 19. It will be hosted by Tiffany Fantasia, a professional drag queen, and will feature special guests along with UM students in drag. The show is free and open to everyone, although there are also V.I.P. tickets that include preferred seating and wait service during the event.

Performers are needed for DragOut. Students can sign up on the SpectrUM Facebook page.

Greek Week

The Association of Greek Letter Organizations presented a bill requesting funds for its event Greek Week. The bill passed.

Greek Week will run from Feb. 21-28. It will feature events hosted by different Greek organizations including a blood drive, fundraisers and chariot races.

Engineer’s Week Bill

Senate passed a bill presented by the Engineering Advisory Board requesting funds for Engineer’s Week.

As the umbrella organization for the College of Engineering, the advisory board hosts all events associated with the College of Engineering. Engineer’s Week will run from Feb. 20-29. It will feature events such as UHack, a 24-hour hackathon, and an experiment with Concrete Canoe.

One of its main events, Game Day, will feature a duct tape competition, hamster ball races and a gladiator pit.

According to the advisory board, the goal is to increase the presence of the College of Engineering on campus and to create a sense of community.

Notes:

The top three names for the customized UM Coca-Cola soda have been selected. An email will be sent out soon for voting.

An Anti-Valentine’s Day Bake Sale will be held Thursday, Feb. 11, when passersby can pie student leaders in the face.

About Author

Jorge Chabo

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

View photos of the first day of Miami Hurricanes spring football practice on Tues., March 22, 2017 … ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

At the Net with Jesse Flores ...

At the Net with... ...

Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team has been selected to participate in an upcoming U.S. U-23 W ...