Edge, Reviews, Theater

Miracle Theatre takes on timeless musical ‘West Side Story’

Sarah Amengual as Maria and Tim Quartier as Tony in Actors’ Playhouse at the Miracle Theatre’s production of West Side Story. Photo Courtesy George Schiavone

“West Side Story,” Bernstein and Sondheim’s iconic 1957 adaptation of Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet,” is an American classic. The feuding gangs, the songs and even the choreography of the opening number are instantly recognizable. With such a well-known work, audience expectations can be sky-high. The production by the Actors’ Playhouse at the Miracle Theatre falls short of perfection, but is still terrifically fun to watch.

The cast features three UM alumni, including Sarah Amengual, who played Maria on Broadway in the recent revival that reprises her lead role here.

The Actors’ Playhouse’s specialty is big-budget musicals, and “West Side Story” delivers a spectacle. This is a cast of universally first-rate dancers; “The Dance at the Gym” and “The Rumble” were especially impressive displays of these talents. The members of the Jet ensemble also displayed their comedic prowess to great effect with crowd favorite “Gee, Officer Krupke.”

While the dance numbers were fantastic, at times it felt as though the acting was equally choreographed, leading to some wooden performances. Amengual and her counterpart, Tim Quartier (who plays Tony), displayed only flashes of chemistry. This was difficult to ignore in a show centered on their romance. Additionally, performers sometimes fell into the trap of sleepwalking through the familiar score, merely singing the songs rather than acting them and bringing their characters fully to life. While the voices were beautiful, the songs were unsatisfying without life behind them.

A notable exception was Isabelle McCalla, who played the passionate and fiercely loyal Anita. McCalla brought fire to her role and elevated the performance of everyone around her.  Theo Lencicki, who played Bernardo, and Amengual were both at their bests when they shared the stage with McCalla. McCalla brought much needed pathos and substance to a show that relied too heavily on flash as a whole. Her penultimate scene delivering a message to the Jets was truly haunting.

As usual, the technical elements at the Miracle Theatre were the most elaborate one can find in Miami outside of the Adrienne Arsht Center. The set, designed by Tim Bennett, successfully evoked New York in the 1950s to a realistic degree while still accommodating for the needs of the production, including space for dancers and major scene transitions. Everything, including costumes, props and lights was meticulously selected for detail. The sound was slightly uneven at times, with some microphone issues, but ultimately did not distract from the production.

While the Actors’ Playhouse’s production doesn’t transcend the beloved movie version, there is still something thrilling about seeing “West Side Story” live. The story comes second to the technical achievements of the dancers and the memorable songs. Whether this is a result to celebrate or to bemoan is debatable. Still, “West Side Story” is an entertaining, exciting evening out for fans looking to see the musical outside of the screen.

If you go:

What: “West Side Story”

Where: Actors’ Playhouse at the Miracle Theatre, 280 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables

When: 8 p.m. Wednesday to Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday, through Feb. 21.

COST: $15 student rush tickets (except Saturdays and Sundays), $52-$59 regular price

For more information, call 305-444-9293 or visit actorsplayhouse.org.

The cast of West Side Story at Actors’ Playhouse at the Miracle Theatre. West Side Story runs until Feb. 21. Photo Courtesy George Schiavone

Madelyn Paquette

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...