Opinion, Staff Editorial

Form strong friendships with initiative, sincerity

During his inauguration, President Julio Frenk emphasized the importance of building bridges and strengthening connections. While he was referring to forming Pan-American connections, on a smaller scale, the friendships we build within our community are also important.

But how can we go about building strong bridges?

For many of us, college is the first time we must navigate uncharted social waters without the safe guidelines of familiar hometown communities. Forging valuable relationships with others can greatly enrich our lives, and sometimes, people are lucky enough to quickly fall into friend groups that naturally work well.

However, others often find themselves floating outside a set of close friends.

Despite the pressure to find a friend group quickly in college, it takes time to work out a comfortable dynamic with others. The right friends may not be your first floormates or the first people you meet at Orientation. It doesn’t hurt to reach out of your regular circles by joining student organizations and attending different events.

By testing new waters, you might find the people who can challenge you, teach you new things and have a great time with you.  The friendships that generate meaningful discussions and new experiences are the most valuable, so search for dynamic relationships over static, superficial inclusions.

People also change; friendships may have to evolve as well. The same group of friends that you were close with in freshman year may grow apart by senior year, and that’s okay.

How we build bridges varies widely. Commuter students, on-campus residents, introverts and extroverts all have different priorities and opportunities to establish friendships. Some students may relish their independence while others may need to depend on a support system.

Regardless, “no man is an island entire of itself,” in the words of poet John Donne. Even if you aren’t included in any connections, there are always meaningful ones to be made. Serendipity might pave the foundation for those bridges, but strengthening the infrastructure requires patience and sincerity.

So follow your instincts. Take leaps of faith. Be genuine and engaged, and build some bridges that are worth crossing.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...