Opinion, Staff Editorial

Form strong friendships with initiative, sincerity

During his inauguration, President Julio Frenk emphasized the importance of building bridges and strengthening connections. While he was referring to forming Pan-American connections, on a smaller scale, the friendships we build within our community are also important.

But how can we go about building strong bridges?

For many of us, college is the first time we must navigate uncharted social waters without the safe guidelines of familiar hometown communities. Forging valuable relationships with others can greatly enrich our lives, and sometimes, people are lucky enough to quickly fall into friend groups that naturally work well.

However, others often find themselves floating outside a set of close friends.

Despite the pressure to find a friend group quickly in college, it takes time to work out a comfortable dynamic with others. The right friends may not be your first floormates or the first people you meet at Orientation. It doesn’t hurt to reach out of your regular circles by joining student organizations and attending different events.

By testing new waters, you might find the people who can challenge you, teach you new things and have a great time with you.  The friendships that generate meaningful discussions and new experiences are the most valuable, so search for dynamic relationships over static, superficial inclusions.

People also change; friendships may have to evolve as well. The same group of friends that you were close with in freshman year may grow apart by senior year, and that’s okay.

How we build bridges varies widely. Commuter students, on-campus residents, introverts and extroverts all have different priorities and opportunities to establish friendships. Some students may relish their independence while others may need to depend on a support system.

Regardless, “no man is an island entire of itself,” in the words of poet John Donne. Even if you aren’t included in any connections, there are always meaningful ones to be made. Serendipity might pave the foundation for those bridges, but strengthening the infrastructure requires patience and sincerity.

So follow your instincts. Take leaps of faith. Be genuine and engaged, and build some bridges that are worth crossing.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...