Opinion, Staff Editorial

Form strong friendships with initiative, sincerity

During his inauguration, President Julio Frenk emphasized the importance of building bridges and strengthening connections. While he was referring to forming Pan-American connections, on a smaller scale, the friendships we build within our community are also important.

But how can we go about building strong bridges?

For many of us, college is the first time we must navigate uncharted social waters without the safe guidelines of familiar hometown communities. Forging valuable relationships with others can greatly enrich our lives, and sometimes, people are lucky enough to quickly fall into friend groups that naturally work well.

However, others often find themselves floating outside a set of close friends.

Despite the pressure to find a friend group quickly in college, it takes time to work out a comfortable dynamic with others. The right friends may not be your first floormates or the first people you meet at Orientation. It doesn’t hurt to reach out of your regular circles by joining student organizations and attending different events.

By testing new waters, you might find the people who can challenge you, teach you new things and have a great time with you.  The friendships that generate meaningful discussions and new experiences are the most valuable, so search for dynamic relationships over static, superficial inclusions.

People also change; friendships may have to evolve as well. The same group of friends that you were close with in freshman year may grow apart by senior year, and that’s okay.

How we build bridges varies widely. Commuter students, on-campus residents, introverts and extroverts all have different priorities and opportunities to establish friendships. Some students may relish their independence while others may need to depend on a support system.

Regardless, “no man is an island entire of itself,” in the words of poet John Donne. Even if you aren’t included in any connections, there are always meaningful ones to be made. Serendipity might pave the foundation for those bridges, but strengthening the infrastructure requires patience and sincerity.

So follow your instincts. Take leaps of faith. Be genuine and engaged, and build some bridges that are worth crossing.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...