Campus Life, Greek Life, News

Chi Omega holds lip-sync battle to benefit Make-A-Wish Foundation

Members of 10 fraternities wore outrageous costumes, choreographed dances and attempted to twerk while participating in a lip-syncing contest Tuesday night on the Lakeside Patio.

The Chi Omega sorority hosted the contest to raise awareness and funds for its national philanthropy, Make-A-Wish Foundation. Dressed in white tutus, five members from Sigma Phi Epsilon won the contest for singing Idina Menzel’s “Let It Go.” Second place was awarded to Sigma Alpha Epsilon for its performance of Outkast’s “Hey Ya!” and third place went to Alpha Sigma Phi for its act of “Bang Bang” by Jessie J, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj.

Nathan Tatum, William Kirsner and Rod Assad choreographed the dance for Alpha Sigma Phi. They felt content with third place.

“Overall, we were strong, but the other two were better,” Kirsner said. “That doesn’t matter though; this was for a good cause. This was fun to do and it was just fun to place.”

The judging was based on creativity, wow factor, staying in sync and costumes, according to Chi Omega Philanthropy Chair Catarina Bloomfield. This was the second year in a row that they hosted the lip-sync battle.

“This was a hilarious idea and something really fun to do,” Bloomfield said. “It was fun watching and [it’s] for a great cause. Make-A-Wish has always been my favorite foundation, something I am super close to and one of the main reasons I joined Chi Omega.”

The lip-sync event ends Week of Wishes with a dodgeball tournament, which Sigma Alpha Epsilon won. Baked goods and shirts were sold throughout the events. Chi Omega raised $9,615 as of Tuesday night and still hopes to reach their target of $10,000. All proceeds will go to the Make-A-Wish Foundation in South Florida.

The Make-A-Wish Foundation has been Chi Omega’s national philanthropy partner since 2002. The sorority has raised more than $12.9 million for the charity. The foundation hopes to use the donations to grant the wish of a child diagnosed with a life-threatening medical condition.

“It was fun watching the guys perform in tutus, and I am thankful to all the participants and my sisters for helping us put on a great show,” Bloomfield said. “It’s fun events like this where we know we can make a difference.”

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user connie58.

Marcus Lim

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

Miami Hurricanes senior wide receiver Braxton Berrios sprinted — in a joyous frenzy — for about 30 y ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was not going to let his Hurricanes be denied. ...

View photos from the Toledo Rockets at Miami Hurricanes game Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017, at Hard Rock ...

What seemed like calamity at the half turned out OK. The defense stepped up, Malik Rosier stepped up ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...

The Miami women's tennis team concluded its opening weekend of play Sunday on the final day of ...

The University of Miami swimming team continued its weekend at All-Florida Invitational at the Steph ...