Campus Life, Greek Life, News

Chi Omega holds lip-sync battle to benefit Make-A-Wish Foundation

Members of 10 fraternities wore outrageous costumes, choreographed dances and attempted to twerk while participating in a lip-syncing contest Tuesday night on the Lakeside Patio.

The Chi Omega sorority hosted the contest to raise awareness and funds for its national philanthropy, Make-A-Wish Foundation. Dressed in white tutus, five members from Sigma Phi Epsilon won the contest for singing Idina Menzel’s “Let It Go.” Second place was awarded to Sigma Alpha Epsilon for its performance of Outkast’s “Hey Ya!” and third place went to Alpha Sigma Phi for its act of “Bang Bang” by Jessie J, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj.

Nathan Tatum, William Kirsner and Rod Assad choreographed the dance for Alpha Sigma Phi. They felt content with third place.

“Overall, we were strong, but the other two were better,” Kirsner said. “That doesn’t matter though; this was for a good cause. This was fun to do and it was just fun to place.”

The judging was based on creativity, wow factor, staying in sync and costumes, according to Chi Omega Philanthropy Chair Catarina Bloomfield. This was the second year in a row that they hosted the lip-sync battle.

“This was a hilarious idea and something really fun to do,” Bloomfield said. “It was fun watching and [it’s] for a great cause. Make-A-Wish has always been my favorite foundation, something I am super close to and one of the main reasons I joined Chi Omega.”

The lip-sync event ends Week of Wishes with a dodgeball tournament, which Sigma Alpha Epsilon won. Baked goods and shirts were sold throughout the events. Chi Omega raised $9,615 as of Tuesday night and still hopes to reach their target of $10,000. All proceeds will go to the Make-A-Wish Foundation in South Florida.

The Make-A-Wish Foundation has been Chi Omega’s national philanthropy partner since 2002. The sorority has raised more than $12.9 million for the charity. The foundation hopes to use the donations to grant the wish of a child diagnosed with a life-threatening medical condition.

“It was fun watching the guys perform in tutus, and I am thankful to all the participants and my sisters for helping us put on a great show,” Bloomfield said. “It’s fun events like this where we know we can make a difference.”

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user connie58.

Marcus Lim

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...