Campus Life, News, Religious Life

‘American Idol’ finalist Bret Loewenstern takes stage at Hillel’s Open-Mic Night

American Idol finalist Bret Loewenstern performs at the UM Hillel’s Open Mic Wednesday night. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

“American Idol” finalist Bret Loewenstern performs at the UM Hillel’s Open Mic Wednesday night. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Singers, songwriters and comedians stepped up to the mic at the Braman Miller Center for Jewish Life on Wednesday for Open-Mic Night on the rooftop patio.

Strewn about the illuminated open balcony were pianos, guitars and microphones that any eager attendee could grab to perform, as well as countless snacks and beverages.

Brett Loewenstern, a University of Miami graduate and former American Idol contestant, set the scene with his performance of “Nobody but Me,” a song he wrote for a class project during his time at UM. Loewenstern reflected on his University of Miami experience with nostalgia. “The most important thing for me was learning how to nurture my inner artist,” Loewenstern said.

Next, Faisal Malik stepped up to the mic and delivered a self-deprecating comedy routine full of dry humor. “He was hilariously punny,” said Gabriel Berenbaum, a senior studying songwriting. “This is the first time that they’re doing this and it’s really exciting.”

Berenbaum went on to perform his original song “This Road,” which was met with applause from the crowd.

The building has been Hillel’s home since 1953. It underwent major renovations last year after a $2.5 million gift from the Braman and Miller families before being unveiled in December.

David Ufberg

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on No. 64 Ana Oparenovic Wednesday at 8 a.m., while Si ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...