Campus Life, News, Religious Life

‘American Idol’ finalist Bret Loewenstern takes stage at Hillel’s Open-Mic Night

American Idol finalist Bret Loewenstern performs at the UM Hillel’s Open Mic Wednesday night. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

“American Idol” finalist Bret Loewenstern performs at the UM Hillel’s Open Mic Wednesday night. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Singers, songwriters and comedians stepped up to the mic at the Braman Miller Center for Jewish Life on Wednesday for Open-Mic Night on the rooftop patio.

Strewn about the illuminated open balcony were pianos, guitars and microphones that any eager attendee could grab to perform, as well as countless snacks and beverages.

Brett Loewenstern, a University of Miami graduate and former American Idol contestant, set the scene with his performance of “Nobody but Me,” a song he wrote for a class project during his time at UM. Loewenstern reflected on his University of Miami experience with nostalgia. “The most important thing for me was learning how to nurture my inner artist,” Loewenstern said.

Next, Faisal Malik stepped up to the mic and delivered a self-deprecating comedy routine full of dry humor. “He was hilariously punny,” said Gabriel Berenbaum, a senior studying songwriting. “This is the first time that they’re doing this and it’s really exciting.”

Berenbaum went on to perform his original song “This Road,” which was met with applause from the crowd.

The building has been Hillel’s home since 1953. It underwent major renovations last year after a $2.5 million gift from the Braman and Miller families before being unveiled in December.

David Ufberg

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...