Edge, Movies

‘The Finest Hours’ depicts rescue mission by United States Coast Guard

“We all live or we all die” very aptly headlines the movie poster for Disney’s new drama “The Finest Hours,” which depicts the most daring rescue mission in American Coast Guard history.

The film tells the incredible true story of newly-engaged coast guard Bernie Webber who sets out into the Atlantic from Chatham, Massachusetts during one of the strongest storms in New England’s history. His goal, to rescue a crew of 32 men trapped on a nonfunctional oil tanker, halved by the ferocious waves.

“[The Finest Hours] has a strong message, a good story, good characters. This one is particularly exciting,” said Casey Affleck, who plays character Ray Sybert in the film, during a conference call with student media.

Chris Pine, who plays the character Bernie Webber, shared the qualities of his character, who he described as “relatable.”

“He was a simple guy who loved his job and loved those waters,” Pine said. “He’s just a good, solid man who goes about business just because he wants to do right … and I learn a lot from him.”

After occurring in 1952, the Pendleton Rescue Mission was buried in history books. That’s one of the reasons why Affleck is most excited about the film, he explained.

“It’s great when you can find a totally forgotten story like this … and bring it to life,” he said. “It’s quite an amazing story.”

The thrilling drama has countless points of suspense, and its CGI effects put viewers right at the heart of the action. Out in Disney Digital 3-D, RealD 3D, and IMAX 3D, the film doesn’t fail to immerse its audience in the whole spectacle.

Disney’s “The Finest Hours” hit theaters on Friday, Jan. 29, and is showing at AMC Sunset, among other venues.

David Ufberg

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...