Edge, Movies

‘The Finest Hours’ depicts rescue mission by United States Coast Guard

“We all live or we all die” very aptly headlines the movie poster for Disney’s new drama “The Finest Hours,” which depicts the most daring rescue mission in American Coast Guard history.

The film tells the incredible true story of newly-engaged coast guard Bernie Webber who sets out into the Atlantic from Chatham, Massachusetts during one of the strongest storms in New England’s history. His goal, to rescue a crew of 32 men trapped on a nonfunctional oil tanker, halved by the ferocious waves.

“[The Finest Hours] has a strong message, a good story, good characters. This one is particularly exciting,” said Casey Affleck, who plays character Ray Sybert in the film, during a conference call with student media.

Chris Pine, who plays the character Bernie Webber, shared the qualities of his character, who he described as “relatable.”

“He was a simple guy who loved his job and loved those waters,” Pine said. “He’s just a good, solid man who goes about business just because he wants to do right … and I learn a lot from him.”

After occurring in 1952, the Pendleton Rescue Mission was buried in history books. That’s one of the reasons why Affleck is most excited about the film, he explained.

“It’s great when you can find a totally forgotten story like this … and bring it to life,” he said. “It’s quite an amazing story.”

The thrilling drama has countless points of suspense, and its CGI effects put viewers right at the heart of the action. Out in Disney Digital 3-D, RealD 3D, and IMAX 3D, the film doesn’t fail to immerse its audience in the whole spectacle.

Disney’s “The Finest Hours” hit theaters on Friday, Jan. 29, and is showing at AMC Sunset, among other venues.

David Ufberg

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...