Basketball, Sports

Miami women’s basketball falters in final minute, loses to Syracuse 57-51

The women’s basketball team fell to ACC foe Syracuse 57-51 at home Monday night. With one minute left, the game was tied 49-49, and junior Syracuse center Briana Day nailed a mid-range jump shot to put the Orange up by two. The Canes’ attempt to retie the game failed when freshman center Emese Hof failed to convert either free throw attempt after she was hacked in the paint. From then on, the Orange took command of the game. The remaining 37 seconds became a repeated cycle of the Canes sending an Orange shooter to the line.

Coming into the game, Syracuse was second in the NCAA in turnovers, forcing an average of 25 a game.

“They are turning over everyone in the ACC 25 times a game,” Head Coach Katie Meier said.

They did not waver from their modus operandi against the No. 16 Canes, forcing 26 turnovers throughout the game. Frequent turnovers have not been a common theme for the Canes this season; the team averages 14.9 turnovers per game. Syracuse coerced the turnovers with active hands on defense and by trapping Miami’s guards as they brought the ball to the frontcourt.

Although the Canes played sloppily on the offensive side, the game remained competitive throughout the entire contest.

“We hung in and created a winnable game out of a very not winnable game,” Meier said.

While the Canes gave up many possessions, the team was able to limit the Orange to 29 percent shooting from the field, a much better mark than the Canes’ season average of 38.4 percent.

Heading into the game, Hof’s field goal percentage was the highest in the ACC at 58. However, she struggled to put the ball in the basket Monday night. Over the past two games, she is just 2-of-9 from the field.

Junior guard Adrienne Motley led the way for the Canes scoring 16 points. It was her seventh consecutive game scoring at least 16 points.

Another key contributor for the Canes was freshman guard Laura Cornelius off the bench. Midway through the third quarter, she hit two back-to-back three-point shots, giving the Canes its first lead since the first quarter.

The Canes will be back in action 7 p.m. Thursday night when the team hits the road and takes on ACC opponent Boston College.

Tej Joshi

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Miami women’s basketball falters in final minute, loses to Syracuse 57-51”

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...