Football, Sports

Former Head Coach Al Golden hired by Detroit Lions

Former Hurricanes Head Coach Al Golden is the new tight ends coach for the Detroit Lions, per multiple reports. Golden was 32-25 in four and a half seasons at Miami. Golden was fired on Oct. 25 last year one day after the Hurricanes lost at home to Clemson 58-0, the worst defeat in team history.

“Coach Golden has led our program through some very difficult times and he has done so with class, integrity and a true desire to see our students succeed on the field, in the classroom and in the community,” Director of Athletics Blake James said in a statement after firing Golden. “However, we have a proud tradition of excellence at Miami, not just in football but in all sports, and we want to compete for ACC and national championships. I simply believe that now is the time to bring the Hurricane Family together and rally behind our young men.”

Golden played tight end in college at Penn St. for four years from 1987-1991. Golden was recently linked with the Dallas Cowboys as a possible destination. He was friends with current Cowboys coach Jason Garrett growing up in New Jersey.

Larry Scott served as interim head coach of the Hurricanes for the final six games of the 2015 season. Scott went 4-2 and subsequently left Miami to be the tight ends coach at the University of Tennessee. UM named Mark Richt head coach of the Hurricanes on Dec. 4.

Mark Singer

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...