Football, Sports

Former Head Coach Al Golden hired by Detroit Lions

Former Hurricanes Head Coach Al Golden is the new tight ends coach for the Detroit Lions, per multiple reports. Golden was 32-25 in four and a half seasons at Miami. Golden was fired on Oct. 25 last year one day after the Hurricanes lost at home to Clemson 58-0, the worst defeat in team history.

“Coach Golden has led our program through some very difficult times and he has done so with class, integrity and a true desire to see our students succeed on the field, in the classroom and in the community,” Director of Athletics Blake James said in a statement after firing Golden. “However, we have a proud tradition of excellence at Miami, not just in football but in all sports, and we want to compete for ACC and national championships. I simply believe that now is the time to bring the Hurricane Family together and rally behind our young men.”

Golden played tight end in college at Penn St. for four years from 1987-1991. Golden was recently linked with the Dallas Cowboys as a possible destination. He was friends with current Cowboys coach Jason Garrett growing up in New Jersey.

Larry Scott served as interim head coach of the Hurricanes for the final six games of the 2015 season. Scott went 4-2 and subsequently left Miami to be the tight ends coach at the University of Tennessee. UM named Mark Richt head coach of the Hurricanes on Dec. 4.

Mark Singer

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to return to the Rome Tennis Center at Berry C ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team cruised past Boston College, 5-1, to win its first AC ...

University of Miami Coach Jim Larrañaga has announced the addition of Lamont Franklin as the directo ...

The University of Miami football team will look to continue its pipeline to the National Football Le ...

FIU plated two runs in the top of the ninth to take the lead and held on Wednesday, capturing a 5-4 ...