Sports, Tennis

Weekend proves successful for men’s, women’s tennis teams

Sophomore Piotr Lomacki takes a forehand shot during his singles match Saturday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The Hurricanes beat Troy University 4-3. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

The men’s and women’s tennis teams went a combined 3-0 in their matches at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center over the weekend. The men’s tennis team took down No. 68 Troy University 4-3 on Saturday to cap the successful weekend of play.

The Hurricanes (3-3) easily secured the doubles point, winning the first two doubles matches while the third doubles match was called early. The duo of sophomores Piotr Lomacki and Nile Clark won 6-3 to start the match. At the top doubles slot, junior Jesse Flores and sophomore Christian Langmo downed their opponent 6-3.

The singles side of the tournament was a back-and-forth affair. Junior Max Andrews won his match in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1. Flores added to the Canes’ point column, also in two one-sided sets, 6-1, 6-2.

The Hurricanes then began to struggle as both freshman Fermin Calvo and Lomacki lost. Calvo played tough but fell in three sets, despite winning the first set 6-1. Soon after, Lomacki fell in two sets, 6-4, 6-2.

The match was decided by the final singles match between Langmo and Troy’s Andy Lau. After losing the first set, Lango bounced back and won the last two sets to seal the victory for the Canes.

Prior to their win against Troy, the Canes defeated the University of Central Florida Knights 5-2 on Friday.

The Canes started off the match with a dominating 6-0 doubles performance by the duo of Lomacki and Clark. The win set the tone for the Canes for the remainder of the contest. Again, Langmo clinched the win for the Hurricanes with a three-set victory.

The team will next be in action on Feb. 15 when they take on Army in Coral Gables.

Also on Friday, the women’s tennis team defeated No. 24 Georgia Tech in a clean sweep 7-0 to open ACC play. The No. 11 Canes (3-0, 1-0) clinched the doubles point with a win from the duo of sophomore Silvia Fuentes and senior Clementina Riobueno in the third doubles match.

From there, the Canes coasted to victory, dropping just one set in all singles play. The seventh-ranked player in the country, sophomore Sinead Lohan, put the final nail in the coffin. She defeated her Yellow Jacket opponent in two sets to score the fourth and deciding point for the Hurricanes.

The team will next be in action when they play in the ITA Team Indoor Championship in Madison, Wisconsin from Feb. 5-8.

Tej Joshi

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...