Sports, Tennis

Weekend proves successful for men’s, women’s tennis teams

Sophomore Piotr Lomacki takes a forehand shot during his singles match Saturday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The Hurricanes beat Troy University 4-3. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

The men’s and women’s tennis teams went a combined 3-0 in their matches at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center over the weekend. The men’s tennis team took down No. 68 Troy University 4-3 on Saturday to cap the successful weekend of play.

The Hurricanes (3-3) easily secured the doubles point, winning the first two doubles matches while the third doubles match was called early. The duo of sophomores Piotr Lomacki and Nile Clark won 6-3 to start the match. At the top doubles slot, junior Jesse Flores and sophomore Christian Langmo downed their opponent 6-3.

The singles side of the tournament was a back-and-forth affair. Junior Max Andrews won his match in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1. Flores added to the Canes’ point column, also in two one-sided sets, 6-1, 6-2.

The Hurricanes then began to struggle as both freshman Fermin Calvo and Lomacki lost. Calvo played tough but fell in three sets, despite winning the first set 6-1. Soon after, Lomacki fell in two sets, 6-4, 6-2.

The match was decided by the final singles match between Langmo and Troy’s Andy Lau. After losing the first set, Lango bounced back and won the last two sets to seal the victory for the Canes.

Prior to their win against Troy, the Canes defeated the University of Central Florida Knights 5-2 on Friday.

The Canes started off the match with a dominating 6-0 doubles performance by the duo of Lomacki and Clark. The win set the tone for the Canes for the remainder of the contest. Again, Langmo clinched the win for the Hurricanes with a three-set victory.

The team will next be in action on Feb. 15 when they take on Army in Coral Gables.

Also on Friday, the women’s tennis team defeated No. 24 Georgia Tech in a clean sweep 7-0 to open ACC play. The No. 11 Canes (3-0, 1-0) clinched the doubles point with a win from the duo of sophomore Silvia Fuentes and senior Clementina Riobueno in the third doubles match.

From there, the Canes coasted to victory, dropping just one set in all singles play. The seventh-ranked player in the country, sophomore Sinead Lohan, put the final nail in the coffin. She defeated her Yellow Jacket opponent in two sets to score the fourth and deciding point for the Hurricanes.

The team will next be in action when they play in the ITA Team Indoor Championship in Madison, Wisconsin from Feb. 5-8.

Tej Joshi

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM undergraduate students resumed classes Monday, some ready, some not, but everyone glad to be back ...

The bold vision for advancing health care education and practice manifests itself this Thursday, Sep ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...