Campus Life, Community, News

Variety of events raise awareness during Social Justice Week

shoe drive, movie screening and open group discussion were all held at UM this past week to raise awareness of social injustice issues. The events were part of Social Justice Week, which began on Monday, Jan. 25.

The co-chairs of Social Justice Week, juniors Mikayla Farr and Ja’Shondra Pouncy, have been working with the Butler Center since their freshman year. Farr explained how Tunnel of Oppression, an annual exhibit that displays injustices happening around the world, led her to work on Social Justice Week.

“Working with Tunnel of Oppression freshman year kind of just catapulted me into Social Justice Week,” Farr said. “It really sheds light on issues that are in your backyard, but that you might not notice.”

There was a shoe drive for impoverished communities in Guatemala on Monday, a screening of the sexual assault documentary “It Happened Here” on Tuesday, and a Snack-N-Chat session on Wednesday, Jan. 27, where students discussed ways to get involved.

“I feel we need more bridging between organizations to produce higher outcomes,” Pouncy said.

Pouncy said that a key value of the week is how it highlights different social justice issues, which she said are all related.

“I was really drawn by the interconnectedness of social justice issues,” Pouncy said.

The co-chairs began planning for Social Justice Week in September of 2015. Farr said that teamwork is crucial when orchestrating the different events.

“I handle the logistical aspects and Mikayla is more the people person,” Pouncy said.

They start by contacting other organizations on campus to gauge their interest in co-sponsoring events. This year, the Butler Center worked with the service organization and student-run social change group Canes Catalyst, Counseling Outreach Peer Education and various community partners.

President Nathaniel Imane explained that the shoe drive was a joint effort with a local middle schooler who contacted him about sending the shoes to Guatemala.

“I am always looking for creative and innovative ways to promote change,” Imane said. “I just want to collect as many as humanly possible.”

On Jan. 27, the Snack-N-Chat took place on the Moss Terrace of the Shalala Student Center. According to Farr, the purpose of the event was to connect students looking for long-term volunteer opportunities with local non-profit agencies.

“We want people to be involved in service because they are passionate, not to collect a few [community service]hours,” Farr said.

Brianna Hernandez

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Variety of events raise awareness during Social Justice Week”

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Due to anticipated inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...

Sixth-seeded Miami owns a spot in the ACC semifinals after rallying past third-seeded Wake Forest. ...