Edge, Fashion

New-year trends to try this semester

Get ahead of the trends with these styles early on in the year. These looks rocked the runways and will soon be in stores, ready to wear. Here’s your guide to trying out some new fashions.

Denim Dresses

denim

Turn dark, utilitarian fabric into something whimsical with a denim dress. Whether you choose patchwork with denim accents or a T-shirt dress made of denim, you can rock this all-American trend. Bring out the orange stitching with tan and suede accessories.

Skinny Scarves

skinnyscarves

This menswear-inspired trend won’t provide much warmth, but it is the perfect accessory for a Floridian winter. Give life to a boring outfit with a patterned skinny scarf, or cover up a low neckline with one in solid black. You can even make your own – just cut a long ribbon of fabric and tie it to your liking.

Mod Mini Dresses

modmini

This ‘60s silhouette is back for round two. Short dresses have reigned for half a century, but 2016’s versions have higher necklines and sleeker shapes. Pair sky-high hems with thigh-high boots for a contemporary twist.

Saddle Bags

saddlebags

Trade in your bucket bag for this equestrian-inspired alternative. With a cross-body strap and latched closure, your stuff will be secure on trail rides and wild nights. Choose one in suede or snakeskin to add texture to your wardrobe.

Victorian-Inspired Pieces

victorian

Gothic mock-neck sweaters, buttons and black define this 19th-century trend. It’s easy to get lost in all that lace, but don’t be afraid. Pair your velvet blazer with a short skirt or jeans for a modern revamp.

Turtlenecks

turtlenecks

Once a trend for cold weather, this silhouette is popping up in all places. Everything from chunky knit to thin tank can be adorned with a turtleneck. Layer one under a slinky dress for a casual class-appropriate outfit.

Mules

mules

Trade chunky boots or platform heels for a pair of mules. In the past year, this shoe trend has gone straight from grandma’s closet to the runway. Now you can wear slippers to class and still look chic.

Suede

suede

The New Year is not quite done with 2015’s ‘70s trend. Colored and patchwork-patterned suede is here to stay for another season and it’s not just for shoes. Wear this sturdy fabric on anything from tank tops to dinner dresses.

Berets

berets

Berets are saviors for bad hair days. You can even stuff one in your bag for emergency tress-taming. Best of all, they go with everything from dresses and tights to jeans and a tee.

Tweed

tweed

You can add wild texture to any outfit with this Chanel-inspired trend. Bright tweeds with metallic touches come in all forms, from bags to jackets. Use the loud fabric to boost up any basic look.

Haley Walker

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...