Edge, Fashion

New-year trends to try this semester

Get ahead of the trends with these styles early on in the year. These looks rocked the runways and will soon be in stores, ready to wear. Here’s your guide to trying out some new fashions.

Denim Dresses

denim

Turn dark, utilitarian fabric into something whimsical with a denim dress. Whether you choose patchwork with denim accents or a T-shirt dress made of denim, you can rock this all-American trend. Bring out the orange stitching with tan and suede accessories.

Skinny Scarves

skinnyscarves

This menswear-inspired trend won’t provide much warmth, but it is the perfect accessory for a Floridian winter. Give life to a boring outfit with a patterned skinny scarf, or cover up a low neckline with one in solid black. You can even make your own – just cut a long ribbon of fabric and tie it to your liking.

Mod Mini Dresses

modmini

This ‘60s silhouette is back for round two. Short dresses have reigned for half a century, but 2016’s versions have higher necklines and sleeker shapes. Pair sky-high hems with thigh-high boots for a contemporary twist.

Saddle Bags

saddlebags

Trade in your bucket bag for this equestrian-inspired alternative. With a cross-body strap and latched closure, your stuff will be secure on trail rides and wild nights. Choose one in suede or snakeskin to add texture to your wardrobe.

Victorian-Inspired Pieces

victorian

Gothic mock-neck sweaters, buttons and black define this 19th-century trend. It’s easy to get lost in all that lace, but don’t be afraid. Pair your velvet blazer with a short skirt or jeans for a modern revamp.

Turtlenecks

turtlenecks

Once a trend for cold weather, this silhouette is popping up in all places. Everything from chunky knit to thin tank can be adorned with a turtleneck. Layer one under a slinky dress for a casual class-appropriate outfit.

Mules

mules

Trade chunky boots or platform heels for a pair of mules. In the past year, this shoe trend has gone straight from grandma’s closet to the runway. Now you can wear slippers to class and still look chic.

Suede

suede

The New Year is not quite done with 2015’s ‘70s trend. Colored and patchwork-patterned suede is here to stay for another season and it’s not just for shoes. Wear this sturdy fabric on anything from tank tops to dinner dresses.

Berets

berets

Berets are saviors for bad hair days. You can even stuff one in your bag for emergency tress-taming. Best of all, they go with everything from dresses and tights to jeans and a tee.

Tweed

tweed

You can add wild texture to any outfit with this Chanel-inspired trend. Bright tweeds with metallic touches come in all forms, from bags to jackets. Use the loud fabric to boost up any basic look.

About Author

Haley Walker

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...