Edge, Fashion

New-year trends to try this semester

Get ahead of the trends with these styles early on in the year. These looks rocked the runways and will soon be in stores, ready to wear. Here’s your guide to trying out some new fashions.

Denim Dresses

denim

Turn dark, utilitarian fabric into something whimsical with a denim dress. Whether you choose patchwork with denim accents or a T-shirt dress made of denim, you can rock this all-American trend. Bring out the orange stitching with tan and suede accessories.

Skinny Scarves

skinnyscarves

This menswear-inspired trend won’t provide much warmth, but it is the perfect accessory for a Floridian winter. Give life to a boring outfit with a patterned skinny scarf, or cover up a low neckline with one in solid black. You can even make your own – just cut a long ribbon of fabric and tie it to your liking.

Mod Mini Dresses

modmini

This ‘60s silhouette is back for round two. Short dresses have reigned for half a century, but 2016’s versions have higher necklines and sleeker shapes. Pair sky-high hems with thigh-high boots for a contemporary twist.

Saddle Bags

saddlebags

Trade in your bucket bag for this equestrian-inspired alternative. With a cross-body strap and latched closure, your stuff will be secure on trail rides and wild nights. Choose one in suede or snakeskin to add texture to your wardrobe.

Victorian-Inspired Pieces

victorian

Gothic mock-neck sweaters, buttons and black define this 19th-century trend. It’s easy to get lost in all that lace, but don’t be afraid. Pair your velvet blazer with a short skirt or jeans for a modern revamp.

Turtlenecks

turtlenecks

Once a trend for cold weather, this silhouette is popping up in all places. Everything from chunky knit to thin tank can be adorned with a turtleneck. Layer one under a slinky dress for a casual class-appropriate outfit.

Mules

mules

Trade chunky boots or platform heels for a pair of mules. In the past year, this shoe trend has gone straight from grandma’s closet to the runway. Now you can wear slippers to class and still look chic.

Suede

suede

The New Year is not quite done with 2015’s ‘70s trend. Colored and patchwork-patterned suede is here to stay for another season and it’s not just for shoes. Wear this sturdy fabric on anything from tank tops to dinner dresses.

Berets

berets

Berets are saviors for bad hair days. You can even stuff one in your bag for emergency tress-taming. Best of all, they go with everything from dresses and tights to jeans and a tee.

Tweed

tweed

You can add wild texture to any outfit with this Chanel-inspired trend. Bright tweeds with metallic touches come in all forms, from bags to jackets. Use the loud fabric to boost up any basic look.

Haley Walker

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on fourth-ranked and third-seeded Astra Sharma Wednesd ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...