Campus Life, Environment, News

Florida schools face off in Recyclemania competition

The kick-off event for Recyclemania, a two-month recycling competition for colleges and universities in Florida, is on Thursday, Feb. 4 at the Rock from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Florida State University, Florida International University, Florida Gulf Coast University, Nova Southeastern University, Eckerd College and the University of West Florida are also participating. The college that recycles the most materials on a per-capita basis will win. Every Thursday, updated standings will be posted on a billboard in the UC Breezeway and on the Green U Facebook page.

University of Miami Dining Services will be offering food and beverages, including natural juices, and Coca-Cola will be hosting giveaways. Hurricane Productions invited Trash to Treasure to the event, an organization that sells jewelry made out of junk. Representatives from Waste Management are bringing the “Waste Management Robot,” a fully interactive robot made out of recyclables. There will also be games with prizes such as recycled bags and T-shirts.

There will be a table at the Rock with a computer for students to take a survey and to pledge not to contaminate recyclables. Students who fill out the survey will be entered into a raffle to win a $75 gift card to the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center.

“Contaminated recyclables is one of the main issues we are trying to face,” UM Sustainability Manager Teddy Lhoutellier said. “If it looks empty, it doesn’t mean its empty. It has to be clean. This is the kind of stuff we want to get out there.”

The Recyclemania tournament will last from Feb. 4 to March 31. As an incentive, Green U has organized several competitions that encourage students to recycle.

Throughout the month of February, students who post recycling videos on the Green U Facebook page will have the opportunity to win prizes. The video categories are sexy, scary, enormous and proper recycling. Judges will pick four winners each week.

In March, Green U will be tabling in the UC Breezeway every Thursday. Each student who brings a bag of clean and empty recyclables weighing more than three pounds will win a prize.

Recyclemania is part of the American College & University Presidents Climate Commitment, a pledge to reduce waste production and greenhouse gas emissions at college campuses that Donna Shalala signed in 2007.

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user 9355.

Madeline Kaufman

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...