Dear V

Dear V: When sparks don’t fly

I’ve been seeing a guy for a while but don’t feel attracted to him. He’s perfect in basically every way. He takes me out on cute dates and fits me into his busy schedule. The problem is, I just don’t feel any chemistry with him. When we kiss, it’s like I’m making out with a friend. We’re a slobbery mess, like two dogs fighting for a tennis ball.

I don’t know what to do. If I keep seeing him, I probably won’t ever develop the physical attraction toward him, though I wish I could. But if I kick him to the curb, I’ll be dumping a guy who doesn’t deserve to be dumped. What should I do?

Sincerely,

Wishing for a Spark

Dear Wishing for a Spark,

Sometimes the chemical attraction that leads to drunken one-night stands and hook-ups just doesn’t show up when you’d wish it would.

Sure, your best friend might brag about how she and her FWB are magnetically drawn to each other and your other friends might blab on and on about how they can “sense” when bae’s in the room, but that doesn’t mean you’ll have that same attraction to your beau.

It’s unfair at times. He’s perfect in every sense of the word, so why don’t you feel that energy? Unfortunately, things like romantic (and sexual) attraction are out of our control.

Instead of waiting for Cupid to strike you with his bow, realize that you’ll probably never feel that spark. Don’t try to force it and just focus on letting your date off the hook without crushing him. It’s going to be hard for him to hear that you’re not feelin’ it.

Try to think of a way to show you care while sending him back to the “friend zone.”

There’s a wide array of options: carrier pigeon, airplane banner, smoke signal, message in a bottle…you could even send a text to the Jumbotron at a basketball game. “Srry, Jim…I’m not feelin’ it wit u. Xoxo, Samantha.”

Joking, of course. How you do it is up to you, but be considerate of his feelings. Perhaps take your guy out to coffee and explain that you’re not attracted to him the way you hoped you’d be.

Just don’t ghost the guy. No matter how long you dated, even if you didn’t hook up, it never feels good to be left in the dark. Answer any questions he has and let him know that you’d still like to be his friend.

If he takes it poorly and decides to split, that’s up to him. Odds are though, if he does care about you, he’ll still see the value of spending time with you, even if it’s platonically instead of romantically.

-V

Advice Columnist

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — The coach of University of Miami’s next opponent, one of the youngest college foo ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clear Sunday, just minutes after stepping foot ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

With Hurricane Irma past them, the Hurricanes are fully focused on their matchup against Toledo on S ...

View some of the best images from the Miami women's tennis team's picture day in advance o ...

The men's cross country team moved up one spot to No. 14 in the South Region in the NCAA Divisi ...

Following a stretch of 17 days without a match due to Hurricane Irma, the Miami soccer team will be ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will have its fall season opener delayed by a week. ...