Dear V

Dear V: When sparks don’t fly

I’ve been seeing a guy for a while but don’t feel attracted to him. He’s perfect in basically every way. He takes me out on cute dates and fits me into his busy schedule. The problem is, I just don’t feel any chemistry with him. When we kiss, it’s like I’m making out with a friend. We’re a slobbery mess, like two dogs fighting for a tennis ball.

I don’t know what to do. If I keep seeing him, I probably won’t ever develop the physical attraction toward him, though I wish I could. But if I kick him to the curb, I’ll be dumping a guy who doesn’t deserve to be dumped. What should I do?

Sincerely,

Wishing for a Spark

Dear Wishing for a Spark,

Sometimes the chemical attraction that leads to drunken one-night stands and hook-ups just doesn’t show up when you’d wish it would.

Sure, your best friend might brag about how she and her FWB are magnetically drawn to each other and your other friends might blab on and on about how they can “sense” when bae’s in the room, but that doesn’t mean you’ll have that same attraction to your beau.

It’s unfair at times. He’s perfect in every sense of the word, so why don’t you feel that energy? Unfortunately, things like romantic (and sexual) attraction are out of our control.

Instead of waiting for Cupid to strike you with his bow, realize that you’ll probably never feel that spark. Don’t try to force it and just focus on letting your date off the hook without crushing him. It’s going to be hard for him to hear that you’re not feelin’ it.

Try to think of a way to show you care while sending him back to the “friend zone.”

There’s a wide array of options: carrier pigeon, airplane banner, smoke signal, message in a bottle…you could even send a text to the Jumbotron at a basketball game. “Srry, Jim…I’m not feelin’ it wit u. Xoxo, Samantha.”

Joking, of course. How you do it is up to you, but be considerate of his feelings. Perhaps take your guy out to coffee and explain that you’re not attracted to him the way you hoped you’d be.

Just don’t ghost the guy. No matter how long you dated, even if you didn’t hook up, it never feels good to be left in the dark. Answer any questions he has and let him know that you’d still like to be his friend.

If he takes it poorly and decides to split, that’s up to him. Odds are though, if he does care about you, he’ll still see the value of spending time with you, even if it’s platonically instead of romantically.

-V

About Author

V Advice Columnist

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...