Basketball, Sports

Miami men’s basketball falls to NC State Wolfpack, 69-85

The men’s basketball team traveled to Raleigh, North Carolina Saturday and suffered a 69-85 loss to a tough North Carolina State squad. After a huge home win against Duke Monday night, the Canes arrived in Raleigh with a three-game winning streak and plenty of momentum. The team hoped to record another ACC win and continue its ascension toward the top of the league standings.

The Canes suffered from a Duke hangover in the first half, coming out with a slow start. Senior guards Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan kept the team in the game, combining for 20 of the Canes’ 32 first-half points. On defense, no one could slow down NC State’s Anthony Barber. The speedy junior guard was impressive in the first half, scoring 14 points and involving his whole team on the offensive end. His performance infused the team with confidence and gave the home crowd plenty to be excited about.

The Canes came out motivated in the second half, but the Wolfpack proved to be too much. Miami couldn’t put together a lengthy enough run or pull any closer to NC State than five or six points. Barber continued to excel for NC State, propelling the team to a 48-point second half. He ended the game with 30 points and a perfect 10-for-10 from the free throw line. Four Miami guards scored in double figures, but the frontcourt was severely limited offensively, combining for just 14 points. NC State’s big guys also dominated the board on both ends of the court. It almost doubled Miami’s rebounding numbers and finished with a total of 41.

Although the Hurricanes didn’t play great basketball, NC State deserves credit for the win. Even on a good night, it would’ve been difficult to leave Raleigh with a win. NC state shot 50 percent from the field and 45 percent from behind the three-point line. However, the Canes has no time to dwell on this loss, as the team will take on a top-25 Notre Dame team at home 7 p.m. Wednesday in the BankUnited Center.

About Author

Cody Brown

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...