Basketball, Sports

Miami men’s basketball falls to NC State Wolfpack, 69-85

The men’s basketball team traveled to Raleigh, North Carolina Saturday and suffered a 69-85 loss to a tough North Carolina State squad. After a huge home win against Duke Monday night, the Canes arrived in Raleigh with a three-game winning streak and plenty of momentum. The team hoped to record another ACC win and continue its ascension toward the top of the league standings.

The Canes suffered from a Duke hangover in the first half, coming out with a slow start. Senior guards Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan kept the team in the game, combining for 20 of the Canes’ 32 first-half points. On defense, no one could slow down NC State’s Anthony Barber. The speedy junior guard was impressive in the first half, scoring 14 points and involving his whole team on the offensive end. His performance infused the team with confidence and gave the home crowd plenty to be excited about.

The Canes came out motivated in the second half, but the Wolfpack proved to be too much. Miami couldn’t put together a lengthy enough run or pull any closer to NC State than five or six points. Barber continued to excel for NC State, propelling the team to a 48-point second half. He ended the game with 30 points and a perfect 10-for-10 from the free throw line. Four Miami guards scored in double figures, but the frontcourt was severely limited offensively, combining for just 14 points. NC State’s big guys also dominated the board on both ends of the court. It almost doubled Miami’s rebounding numbers and finished with a total of 41.

Although the Hurricanes didn’t play great basketball, NC State deserves credit for the win. Even on a good night, it would’ve been difficult to leave Raleigh with a win. NC state shot 50 percent from the field and 45 percent from behind the three-point line. However, the Canes has no time to dwell on this loss, as the team will take on a top-25 Notre Dame team at home 7 p.m. Wednesday in the BankUnited Center.

Cody Brown

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

Michelle Atherley closed out the Bryan Clay Invitational with a record-setting performance in the wo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will begin the final weekend of its regular season wi ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Eight members of the University of Miami track and field team earned All-ACC Academic honors for the ...

Nine members of the University of Miami track and field team will represent the Hurricanes at the Vi ...