Academics, Administration, Campus Life, News

President Julio Frenk announces $100 million gift

President Julio Frenk announced a $100 million gift from mega donors Dr. Phillip and Patricia Frost to support a new initiative in basic and applied science and engineering education. The announcement came at Frenk’s inauguration ceremony at the University of Miami’s BankUnited Center Friday afternoon.

“I am delighted to announce a major new initiative to support basic and applied science and engineering, thanks to an extraordinary gift of $100 million from Phillip and Patricia Frost. Their generosity will carry us further and faster in our quest for excellence across all domains critical to 21st century advances,” Frenk said in his address.

The Frosts were honorary co-chairs of the inauguration.

UM named the school of music after the Frosts in honor of their $33 million donation in 2003. They have also poured millions into projects throughout Miami, such as the Patricia and Phillip Frost Art Museum at Florida International University.

The ceremony—which Frenk chose to have after 100 days of listening to the community—was attended by students, faculty, staff, administrators, alumni, and representatives from other universities.

About Author

Isabella Cueto

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

Here’s a positive sign for the University of Miami football program: receiver Lawrence Cager appears ...

Tidbits from UM spring football Day 4: • Three of what likely will be UM’s top four corners haven’t ...

You’ve probably seen them: the emotive tweets from University of Miami football coach Mark Richt and ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...