Academics, Administration, Campus Life, News

President Julio Frenk announces $100 million gift

President Julio Frenk announced a $100 million gift from mega donors Dr. Phillip and Patricia Frost to support a new initiative in basic and applied science and engineering education. The announcement came at Frenk’s inauguration ceremony at the University of Miami’s BankUnited Center Friday afternoon.

“I am delighted to announce a major new initiative to support basic and applied science and engineering, thanks to an extraordinary gift of $100 million from Phillip and Patricia Frost. Their generosity will carry us further and faster in our quest for excellence across all domains critical to 21st century advances,” Frenk said in his address.

The Frosts were honorary co-chairs of the inauguration.

UM named the school of music after the Frosts in honor of their $33 million donation in 2003. They have also poured millions into projects throughout Miami, such as the Patricia and Phillip Frost Art Museum at Florida International University.

The ceremony—which Frenk chose to have after 100 days of listening to the community—was attended by students, faculty, staff, administrators, alumni, and representatives from other universities.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at icueto@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto.

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...