Academics, Administration, Campus Life, News

President Julio Frenk announces $100 million gift

President Julio Frenk announced a $100 million gift from mega donors Dr. Phillip and Patricia Frost to support a new initiative in basic and applied science and engineering education. The announcement came at Frenk’s inauguration ceremony at the University of Miami’s BankUnited Center Friday afternoon.

“I am delighted to announce a major new initiative to support basic and applied science and engineering, thanks to an extraordinary gift of $100 million from Phillip and Patricia Frost. Their generosity will carry us further and faster in our quest for excellence across all domains critical to 21st century advances,” Frenk said in his address.

The Frosts were honorary co-chairs of the inauguration.

UM named the school of music after the Frosts in honor of their $33 million donation in 2003. They have also poured millions into projects throughout Miami, such as the Patricia and Phillip Frost Art Museum at Florida International University.

The ceremony—which Frenk chose to have after 100 days of listening to the community—was attended by students, faculty, staff, administrators, alumni, and representatives from other universities.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...