Edge, Food

Try Frenk’s favorite cheese at local spots

During a September interview series with soon-to-be-inaugurated President Julio Frenk, TMH got the scoop on everything from his hobbies and early life to his favorite books and music. When asked about his favorite food, President Frenk didn’t hesitate, but his answer was a bit unfamiliar.

“I can tell you that right away because I know it,” he said. “…Oaxaca cheese. … I could eat that cheese all my life.”

So what is this stuff, exactly? It’s time for a crash course in cultures – cheese cultures, that is.

Named after a state in southern Mexico, Oaxaca cheese is made from cow’s milk and has a slightly dry, string-like texture. Its mild-yet-salty flavor and semi-soft consistency make it ideal for melting, shredding and pulling apart.

Basically, it’s mozzarella with a Hispanic twist, providing a perfect excuse to combine what are arguably the two best food items there are: tacos and cheese. Some variations even kick it up a notch, flavoring the Oaxaca with cherry pits to provide a hint of heat.

Though it may not be a staple in most American kitchens, Oaxaca can be found in dishes throughout Miami. Celebrate Frenk’s unique heritage and upcoming inauguration at these local restaurants.

Talavera

Talavera shines the spotlight on Oaxaca, offering three different fondue options that are sharable and only $12. You can also spot the semi-soft cheese rolled up in the chicken-stuffed crepes ($18) or oozing out of a tomato sauce-smothered poblano in the chile relleno ($17).

Talavera is located at 2299 Ponce De Leon Blvd., Coral Gables, Fla. 33134

Wapo Taco

At this authentic taqueria, Oaxaca is featured in its best form: melted. The queso fundido con chorizo ($10) is a spicy take on the traditional fondue dish, with Mexican sausage crumbled over warm, gooey cheese and housemade flour tortillas for dipping. Of course, in true Mexican style, guacamole and sour cream are served alongside the dish.

Wapo Taco is located at 2526 Ponce De Leon Blvd., Coral Gables, Fla. 33134.

Latin Burger and Taco

For freshmen and other campus-bound bodies, a taste of President Frenk’s favorite food is available right at UM. Latin Burger and Taco tops their signature burger with melty Oaxaca, along with roasted pimento mayo on a toasted bun. At just $8, the Latin Burger is the perfect between-class snack or grab-and-go lunch. Catch the truck Mondays by the Rock or at the fountain in front of Cox Science Building.

Talavera's Chicken Stuffed Crepes feature chicken and corn tortilla crepes with mole blanco, melted Oaxaca cheese and chile puya oil. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Talavera’s Chicken Stuffed Crepes feature chicken and corn tortilla crepes with mole blanco, melted Oaxaca cheese and chile puya oil. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

The Queso Fundido Con Chorizo at Wapo Taco combines oaxaca cheese fondue with crumbled mexican sausage and is served with warm flour tortillas and guacamole. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Julie Harans

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...