Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: Removal of ducks beneficial to local wildlife

I support the university’s actions in removing a few invasive Muscovy ducks from campus and suggest that more should be removed and humanely euthanized in accordance with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission’s recommendations for their control. Native to Central America and Ecuador, these introduced Muscovy ducks have become a problem throughout South Florida by competing for space with native waterbirds such as herons, gallinules and of course, Miami’s beloved ibises! Muscovy ducks should not be considered part of the native “campus wildlife” under any circumstances and should instead be viewed as a serious disease risk due to their constant defecation in Lake Osceola and on nearby sidewalks. The university administration should take further steps to reduce their population on campus and also to improve Lake Osceola’s spaces that attract Florida’s native waterfowl to enhance the true natural beauty of our campus.

Michael Connelly is a senior majoring in marine science and biology at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science.

4 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Letter to the Editor: Removal of ducks beneficial to local wildlife”

1. J says:

Excellent article with substance. There are many people with a knee-jerk reaction saying they are against the removal of the ducks, but they should have some common sense. Also, in response to Lawrence, I respectfully disagree. Humans need to find an appropriate balance with nature, but what you are suggesting is myopic. Since Lawrence is so concerned about our actions of humans, he is a little hypocritical. Typing on your computer which was probably made with underpaid labor somewhere in Asia required use of natural resources. So did its transport from Asia to the US require to use of natural resources. If you are truly ashamed of the actions of humans for sake of convenience maybe you should move to the jungles of the Amazon. Then, you will truly be in peace.

2. JPS says:

Please send these ducks back home!

3. Lawrence says:

Human beings have caused more detriment to the natural wildlife than these creatures have ever caused for each other . In fact it is humans who are responsible for bringing Muscovy Ducks to South Florida in the first place . No creature is immune from being classified as a “disease risk” but the difference is that other animals are helped but a healthy duck is condemned simply by its label . Before stating the words “humanely euthanized” perhaps one might want to look into what that process truly involves and how those animals do in fact suffer not because they are ill but rather to suit the convenience of humans .

4. kia says:

well said

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...