Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: Removal of ducks beneficial to local wildlife

I support the university’s actions in removing a few invasive Muscovy ducks from campus and suggest that more should be removed and humanely euthanized in accordance with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission’s recommendations for their control. Native to Central America and Ecuador, these introduced Muscovy ducks have become a problem throughout South Florida by competing for space with native waterbirds such as herons, gallinules and of course, Miami’s beloved ibises! Muscovy ducks should not be considered part of the native “campus wildlife” under any circumstances and should instead be viewed as a serious disease risk due to their constant defecation in Lake Osceola and on nearby sidewalks. The university administration should take further steps to reduce their population on campus and also to improve Lake Osceola’s spaces that attract Florida’s native waterfowl to enhance the true natural beauty of our campus.

Michael Connelly is a senior majoring in marine science and biology at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science.

4 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Letter to the Editor: Removal of ducks beneficial to local wildlife”

1. J says:

Excellent article with substance. There are many people with a knee-jerk reaction saying they are against the removal of the ducks, but they should have some common sense. Also, in response to Lawrence, I respectfully disagree. Humans need to find an appropriate balance with nature, but what you are suggesting is myopic. Since Lawrence is so concerned about our actions of humans, he is a little hypocritical. Typing on your computer which was probably made with underpaid labor somewhere in Asia required use of natural resources. So did its transport from Asia to the US require to use of natural resources. If you are truly ashamed of the actions of humans for sake of convenience maybe you should move to the jungles of the Amazon. Then, you will truly be in peace.

2. JPS says:

Please send these ducks back home!

3. Lawrence says:

Human beings have caused more detriment to the natural wildlife than these creatures have ever caused for each other . In fact it is humans who are responsible for bringing Muscovy Ducks to South Florida in the first place . No creature is immune from being classified as a “disease risk” but the difference is that other animals are helped but a healthy duck is condemned simply by its label . Before stating the words “humanely euthanized” perhaps one might want to look into what that process truly involves and how those animals do in fact suffer not because they are ill but rather to suit the convenience of humans .

4. kia says:

well said

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an offic ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami women's tennis team is set to begin its 2017 fall season this weekend, with the major ...

Despite a career-best nine saves by Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the Miami soccer team dropped a 1-0 road d ...

The Miami Hurricanes evacuated Coral Gables ahead of Hurricane Irma and now they move forward as a f ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns to the court this weekend to host Virginia Tech and ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team opens its 2017-18 season Friday at the eighth ann ...