Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: Removal of ducks beneficial to local wildlife

I support the university’s actions in removing a few invasive Muscovy ducks from campus and suggest that more should be removed and humanely euthanized in accordance with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission’s recommendations for their control. Native to Central America and Ecuador, these introduced Muscovy ducks have become a problem throughout South Florida by competing for space with native waterbirds such as herons, gallinules and of course, Miami’s beloved ibises! Muscovy ducks should not be considered part of the native “campus wildlife” under any circumstances and should instead be viewed as a serious disease risk due to their constant defecation in Lake Osceola and on nearby sidewalks. The university administration should take further steps to reduce their population on campus and also to improve Lake Osceola’s spaces that attract Florida’s native waterfowl to enhance the true natural beauty of our campus.

Michael Connelly is a senior majoring in marine science and biology at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science.

4 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Letter to the Editor: Removal of ducks beneficial to local wildlife”

1. J says:

Excellent article with substance. There are many people with a knee-jerk reaction saying they are against the removal of the ducks, but they should have some common sense. Also, in response to Lawrence, I respectfully disagree. Humans need to find an appropriate balance with nature, but what you are suggesting is myopic. Since Lawrence is so concerned about our actions of humans, he is a little hypocritical. Typing on your computer which was probably made with underpaid labor somewhere in Asia required use of natural resources. So did its transport from Asia to the US require to use of natural resources. If you are truly ashamed of the actions of humans for sake of convenience maybe you should move to the jungles of the Amazon. Then, you will truly be in peace.

2. JPS says:

Please send these ducks back home!

3. Lawrence says:

Human beings have caused more detriment to the natural wildlife than these creatures have ever caused for each other . In fact it is humans who are responsible for bringing Muscovy Ducks to South Florida in the first place . No creature is immune from being classified as a “disease risk” but the difference is that other animals are helped but a healthy duck is condemned simply by its label . Before stating the words “humanely euthanized” perhaps one might want to look into what that process truly involves and how those animals do in fact suffer not because they are ill but rather to suit the convenience of humans .

4. kia says:

well said

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...