LGBT, News

Gender-neutral, all-inclusive bathrooms now available at multiple locations

NEWS_Gender Neutral Bathroom

The University of Miami has taken a step toward accommodating LGBT students by installing both gender-neutral bathrooms and all-inclusive bathrooms around its Coral Gables campus.

An LGBT task force headed by Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Patricia Whitely was created in 2013 to help foster an accepting and equal community. It includes undergraduate and graduate students, faculty and administrators who work to fulfill goals such as designating gender-neutral bathrooms and providing a safe environment for those who need it. This task force was created under UM’s previous president, Donna Shalala, and will be continued under President Julio Frenk.

Gender-neutral bathrooms are available in Dooly Memorial, Gables One Tower and Meyer Law Library. All-inclusive bathrooms, which are open to all genders, compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act and also have family accommodations, are located in the Shalala Student Center, Ungar Building, Richter Library, Herbert Wellness Center, Perez Architecture Center, Newman Alumni Center, BankUnited Center, Toppel Career Center and Gables One Tower.

UM is now one of many colleges nationwide to accept and implement gender-inclusive bathrooms alongside Vassar College, Northwestern University, Stanford University, Wesleyan University and many others.

Ritika Malkani

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...