LGBT, News

Gender-neutral, all-inclusive bathrooms now available at multiple locations

NEWS_Gender Neutral Bathroom

The University of Miami has taken a step toward accommodating LGBT students by installing both gender-neutral bathrooms and all-inclusive bathrooms around its Coral Gables campus.

An LGBT task force headed by Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Patricia Whitely was created in 2013 to help foster an accepting and equal community. It includes undergraduate and graduate students, faculty and administrators who work to fulfill goals such as designating gender-neutral bathrooms and providing a safe environment for those who need it. This task force was created under UM’s previous president, Donna Shalala, and will be continued under President Julio Frenk.

Gender-neutral bathrooms are available in Dooly Memorial, Gables One Tower and Meyer Law Library. All-inclusive bathrooms, which are open to all genders, compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act and also have family accommodations, are located in the Shalala Student Center, Ungar Building, Richter Library, Herbert Wellness Center, Perez Architecture Center, Newman Alumni Center, BankUnited Center, Toppel Career Center and Gables One Tower.

UM is now one of many colleges nationwide to accept and implement gender-inclusive bathrooms alongside Vassar College, Northwestern University, Stanford University, Wesleyan University and many others.

Ritika Malkani

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...