LGBT, News

Gender-neutral, all-inclusive bathrooms now available at multiple locations

NEWS_Gender Neutral Bathroom

The University of Miami has taken a step toward accommodating LGBT students by installing both gender-neutral bathrooms and all-inclusive bathrooms around its Coral Gables campus.

An LGBT task force headed by Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Patricia Whitely was created in 2013 to help foster an accepting and equal community. It includes undergraduate and graduate students, faculty and administrators who work to fulfill goals such as designating gender-neutral bathrooms and providing a safe environment for those who need it. This task force was created under UM’s previous president, Donna Shalala, and will be continued under President Julio Frenk.

Gender-neutral bathrooms are available in Dooly Memorial, Gables One Tower and Meyer Law Library. All-inclusive bathrooms, which are open to all genders, compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act and also have family accommodations, are located in the Shalala Student Center, Ungar Building, Richter Library, Herbert Wellness Center, Perez Architecture Center, Newman Alumni Center, BankUnited Center, Toppel Career Center and Gables One Tower.

UM is now one of many colleges nationwide to accept and implement gender-inclusive bathrooms alongside Vassar College, Northwestern University, Stanford University, Wesleyan University and many others.

About Author

Ritika Malkani

Here’s a positive sign for the University of Miami football program: receiver Lawrence Cager appears ...

Tidbits from UM spring football Day 4: • Three of what likely will be UM’s top four corners haven’t ...

You’ve probably seen them: the emotive tweets from University of Miami football coach Mark Richt and ...

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...