LGBT, News

Gender-neutral, all-inclusive bathrooms now available at multiple locations

NEWS_Gender Neutral Bathroom

The University of Miami has taken a step toward accommodating LGBT students by installing both gender-neutral bathrooms and all-inclusive bathrooms around its Coral Gables campus.

An LGBT task force headed by Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Patricia Whitely was created in 2013 to help foster an accepting and equal community. It includes undergraduate and graduate students, faculty and administrators who work to fulfill goals such as designating gender-neutral bathrooms and providing a safe environment for those who need it. This task force was created under UM’s previous president, Donna Shalala, and will be continued under President Julio Frenk.

Gender-neutral bathrooms are available in Dooly Memorial, Gables One Tower and Meyer Law Library. All-inclusive bathrooms, which are open to all genders, compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act and also have family accommodations, are located in the Shalala Student Center, Ungar Building, Richter Library, Herbert Wellness Center, Perez Architecture Center, Newman Alumni Center, BankUnited Center, Toppel Career Center and Gables One Tower.

UM is now one of many colleges nationwide to accept and implement gender-inclusive bathrooms alongside Vassar College, Northwestern University, Stanford University, Wesleyan University and many others.

Ritika Malkani

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dewan Huell is the only Miami native on the University of Miami men’s basketball team, and he wears ...

1. HEAT: Look out, 'cuz the Heat are sizzlin' hot!: Looks like Dion Waiters is done for th ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes veterans and newcomers alike opened their season strong at the UAB Blazer Invitational. ...