LGBT, News

Gender-neutral, all-inclusive bathrooms now available at multiple locations

NEWS_Gender Neutral Bathroom

The University of Miami has taken a step toward accommodating LGBT students by installing both gender-neutral bathrooms and all-inclusive bathrooms around its Coral Gables campus.

An LGBT task force headed by Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Patricia Whitely was created in 2013 to help foster an accepting and equal community. It includes undergraduate and graduate students, faculty and administrators who work to fulfill goals such as designating gender-neutral bathrooms and providing a safe environment for those who need it. This task force was created under UM’s previous president, Donna Shalala, and will be continued under President Julio Frenk.

Gender-neutral bathrooms are available in Dooly Memorial, Gables One Tower and Meyer Law Library. All-inclusive bathrooms, which are open to all genders, compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act and also have family accommodations, are located in the Shalala Student Center, Ungar Building, Richter Library, Herbert Wellness Center, Perez Architecture Center, Newman Alumni Center, BankUnited Center, Toppel Career Center and Gables One Tower.

UM is now one of many colleges nationwide to accept and implement gender-inclusive bathrooms alongside Vassar College, Northwestern University, Stanford University, Wesleyan University and many others.

Ritika Malkani

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...