Campus Life, News

Author, historian Jon Meacham derives modern lessons from historical figures

Presidential Historian Jon Meacham speaks at Gusman Concert Hall Tuesday evening regarding how past political leadership influences current governmental decision-making. Pulling from his extensive knowledge of presidential history, Meacham aimed to connect to UM students, many of whom are first time voters. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photogapher

Pulitzer Prize-winning author and presidential historian Jon Meacham discussed the greatest leaders in American history and how leaders in the 21st century could learn from them.

Speaking to a full house at the Maurice Gusman Concert Hall on Tuesday night, Meacham covered topics including Thomas Jefferson’s pragmatism, Andrew Jackson’s management of public opinion and John F. Kennedy’s ability to recover from his own mistakes. Meacham’s speech did not fail to garner intrigue from the crowd. His Bill Clinton impersonations were a hit with the audience as well.

“Most people who have made a difference have struggled,” Meacham said. He drew parallels between difficulties faced by leaders of the early American republic and those faced by contemporary leaders by putting historical issues in a modern context, giving listeners a better understanding of the early American political scene.

Meacham is the executive vice president of Random House, the largest general-interest trade book publisher in the world, as well as a contributing editor to Time Magazine. His 2012 book, “Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power,” was named one of the best books of the year by the Washington Post and his most recent book, “Destiny and Power,” debuted at number one on The New York Times’ Best Sellers list.

The renowned historian directed much of his speech toward the young people in the audience, specifically speaking to the numerous first-time voters attending UM who will vote in the upcoming presidential election.

“Keep an open mind, read up on them [and]try to understand who they are,” he said. “The plans and policies will always change, but the character of the person is key.”

David Ufberg

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...