Edge, Inauguration Week, Music

Alumnus, jazz pianist Matt Wigler to perform at “Firsts at UM”

University of Miami alumnus Matt Wigler, who graduated in December, will be performing at the “Firsts at UM” event Wednesday at the Newman Alumni Center. The musician, who was a part of the first class to graduate under President Frenk, will be performing famous compositions from the 1920s, the decade UM was founded.

Wigler was asked to perform at the Inauguration Week event by Frost of Music Dean Shelton Berg, who recommended him based on the music style of the event.

“Matt Wigler is a truly exceptional young jazz pianist, who is versed in a wide range of musical styles,” Berg said. “I asked him to perform for the ‘firsts’ event because UM requested music from the 1920s … I know that Matt can convincingly evoke that era.”

Wigler’s performance will include pieces by composers George Gershwin and Cole Porter, among others.

“I will perform classic jazz repertoire, in keeping with the theme of the event,” he said.

After graduating with a Bachelor’s Degree in Spanish, Wigler is now working to complete the final course for his B.A. in music, which he plans to receive at the end of the spring semester. 

“I have traveled many times to Mexico City and it was there that I discovered my passion for learning language and Latin American Culture. I’m excited about this connection with President Frenk,” he said.

If You Go:

What: “Firsts at UM”

Where: Newman Alumni Center

When: Jan. 27 at 4 p.m.

Emily Dabau

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...