Edge, Inauguration Week, Music

Alumnus, jazz pianist Matt Wigler to perform at “Firsts at UM”

University of Miami alumnus Matt Wigler, who graduated in December, will be performing at the “Firsts at UM” event Wednesday at the Newman Alumni Center. The musician, who was a part of the first class to graduate under President Frenk, will be performing famous compositions from the 1920s, the decade UM was founded.

Wigler was asked to perform at the Inauguration Week event by Frost of Music Dean Shelton Berg, who recommended him based on the music style of the event.

“Matt Wigler is a truly exceptional young jazz pianist, who is versed in a wide range of musical styles,” Berg said. “I asked him to perform for the ‘firsts’ event because UM requested music from the 1920s … I know that Matt can convincingly evoke that era.”

Wigler’s performance will include pieces by composers George Gershwin and Cole Porter, among others.

“I will perform classic jazz repertoire, in keeping with the theme of the event,” he said.

After graduating with a Bachelor’s Degree in Spanish, Wigler is now working to complete the final course for his B.A. in music, which he plans to receive at the end of the spring semester. 

“I have traveled many times to Mexico City and it was there that I discovered my passion for learning language and Latin American Culture. I’m excited about this connection with President Frenk,” he said.

If You Go:

What: “Firsts at UM”

Where: Newman Alumni Center

When: Jan. 27 at 4 p.m.

Emily Dabau

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to return to the Rome Tennis Center at Berry C ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team cruised past Boston College, 5-1, to win its first AC ...

University of Miami Coach Jim Larrañaga has announced the addition of Lamont Franklin as the directo ...

The University of Miami football team will look to continue its pipeline to the National Football Le ...

FIU plated two runs in the top of the ninth to take the lead and held on Wednesday, capturing a 5-4 ...