Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSPorts: Hurricanes hand Blue Devils another ACC loss

The No. 15 Miami Hurricanes came out of the BankUnited Center Monday night with a major victory over the defending national champions, the No. 24 Duke Blue Devils 80-69.

Fans started lining up outside for this contest at around 4 p.m. in order to get the best seats in the house.

The wait was worthwhile. So far, this bout is the game of the year for the Canes, as there were several alley-oop dunks that brought tremendous energy from the fans. Former Canes baseball great Alex Rodriguez was spotted courtside taking in the action.

It was the Angel Rodriguez to Sheldon McClellan show out there, as they connected for several alley-oops. The Canes finished with an impressive 24 assists in the game compared to only eight by Duke.

McClellan finished with a team-high 21 points on an impressive 8-of-12 shooting from the field. He continues to shoot well from the field at around 52 percent.

Rodriguez finished with a double-double, with 13 points and 11 assists along with three 3-pointers in the first half.

Sixth man Ja’Quan Newton had 15 points, along with a fast break dunk in the closing seconds of the game. That solidified a Hurricanes victory and got the crowd roaring in celebration.

Tonye Jekiri defended Duke center Marshall Plumlee well in the paint, holding him to only one field goal.

Duke only played six men with the exception of two minutes by Chase Jeter, as forward Amile Jefferson sat out the game due to an injury.

The win brought the Canes to a 16-3 record and 5-2 in the Atlantic Coast Conference. That is tied for third in the ACC behind North Carolina and Louisville.

Last year, the Canes had one of their best games ever, as the team defeated Duke at Cameron Indoor Stadium 90-74. Home court advantage in the ACC is crucial, as a large student section always helps out the home team. This win may have just topped that.

The Canes still have five home games remaining against quality ACC opponents Notre Dame, Pitt, Virginia Tech, Virginia and Louisville. As a Pittsburgh native, I am still uncertain if I will wear a Pitt or Miami shirt Feb. 9.

Wyatt Geller

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...

Sean Grossman broke the 30-minute mark to set a school record in the men's 10,000m at the Virgi ...