Frenk, Inauguration Week, News

SCHEDULE: Inauguration Week features variety of events, activities

MONDAY, JAN. 25

Basketball game • 7 p.m. at the BankUnited Center

The Hurricanes take on the Duke University Blue Devils in the men’s basketball game Monday night at the BankUnited Center. The Hurricanes are 15-3 and 4-2 in ACC play.

WEDNESDAY, JAN. 27

Firsts at UM • 4 p.m. at the Newman Alumni Center

Some noteworthy “firsts” throughout the university’s history will be on display at the Newman Alumni Center Wednesday afternoon as part of celebrating President Frenk’s roadmap to the university’s centennial. UM Libraries will display an exhibit from its archives and Frenk will have a conversation with historian-author and trustee Arva Moore Parks.

THURSDAY, JAN. 28 

New Century of Medical Education and Innovation • 11:30 a.m. at the Miller School of Medicine 

President Frenk, Board of Trustees Chair Stuart A. Miller and Miller School of Medicine leaders will have a ceremonial groundbreaking for the Center for Medical Education and the naming of the Don Soffer Clinical Research Center. The event will be held in the Schoninger Research Quadrangle and will also include remarks from Frenk and Miller about the future of UM.

1095 Northwest 14th Terrace, Miami, Florida 33136

FRIDAY, JAN. 29 

‘Cane Talks • 9:30 a.m. at Donna E. Shalala Student Center

Ten members of the UM community will give 10-minute talks pondering big questions. Speakers include Dean Shelton Berg from the Frost School of Music, Professor and Knight Chair in Visual Journalism Alberto Cairo, Professor of Law Osamudia James and School of Architecture Dean Rodolphe el-Khoury, among others.

Inauguration Ceremony • 2 p.m. in BankUnited Center

Frenk will be officially inaugurated as the sixth president of the university.

Community Reception • 4 p.m. on the Student Center Complex Lakeside Patio

A celebration of Frenk’s inauguration will immediately follow the installation ceremony and is open to the entire UM community.

SATURDAY, JAN. 30

Our Global Future: Teaching, Research, and Discovery in Our New Century • 9:30 a.m. at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS)

President Frenk and RSMAS Dean Roni Avissar will discuss hurdles and plans for the university in its connection to the rest of the world over breakfast. This event is open to RSMAS faculty, staff and students.

4600 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, Florida 33149

About Author

Isabella Cueto

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...