Frenk, Inauguration Week, News

SCHEDULE: Inauguration Week features variety of events, activities

MONDAY, JAN. 25

Basketball game • 7 p.m. at the BankUnited Center

The Hurricanes take on the Duke University Blue Devils in the men’s basketball game Monday night at the BankUnited Center. The Hurricanes are 15-3 and 4-2 in ACC play.

WEDNESDAY, JAN. 27

Firsts at UM • 4 p.m. at the Newman Alumni Center

Some noteworthy “firsts” throughout the university’s history will be on display at the Newman Alumni Center Wednesday afternoon as part of celebrating President Frenk’s roadmap to the university’s centennial. UM Libraries will display an exhibit from its archives and Frenk will have a conversation with historian-author and trustee Arva Moore Parks.

THURSDAY, JAN. 28 

New Century of Medical Education and Innovation • 11:30 a.m. at the Miller School of Medicine 

President Frenk, Board of Trustees Chair Stuart A. Miller and Miller School of Medicine leaders will have a ceremonial groundbreaking for the Center for Medical Education and the naming of the Don Soffer Clinical Research Center. The event will be held in the Schoninger Research Quadrangle and will also include remarks from Frenk and Miller about the future of UM.

1095 Northwest 14th Terrace, Miami, Florida 33136

FRIDAY, JAN. 29 

‘Cane Talks • 9:30 a.m. at Donna E. Shalala Student Center

Ten members of the UM community will give 10-minute talks pondering big questions. Speakers include Dean Shelton Berg from the Frost School of Music, Professor and Knight Chair in Visual Journalism Alberto Cairo, Professor of Law Osamudia James and School of Architecture Dean Rodolphe el-Khoury, among others.

Inauguration Ceremony • 2 p.m. in BankUnited Center

Frenk will be officially inaugurated as the sixth president of the university.

Community Reception • 4 p.m. on the Student Center Complex Lakeside Patio

A celebration of Frenk’s inauguration will immediately follow the installation ceremony and is open to the entire UM community.

SATURDAY, JAN. 30

Our Global Future: Teaching, Research, and Discovery in Our New Century • 9:30 a.m. at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS)

President Frenk and RSMAS Dean Roni Avissar will discuss hurdles and plans for the university in its connection to the rest of the world over breakfast. This event is open to RSMAS faculty, staff and students.

4600 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, Florida 33149

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...