Frenk, Inauguration Week, News

SCHEDULE: Inauguration Week features variety of events, activities

MONDAY, JAN. 25

Basketball game • 7 p.m. at the BankUnited Center

The Hurricanes take on the Duke University Blue Devils in the men’s basketball game Monday night at the BankUnited Center. The Hurricanes are 15-3 and 4-2 in ACC play.

WEDNESDAY, JAN. 27

Firsts at UM • 4 p.m. at the Newman Alumni Center

Some noteworthy “firsts” throughout the university’s history will be on display at the Newman Alumni Center Wednesday afternoon as part of celebrating President Frenk’s roadmap to the university’s centennial. UM Libraries will display an exhibit from its archives and Frenk will have a conversation with historian-author and trustee Arva Moore Parks.

THURSDAY, JAN. 28 

New Century of Medical Education and Innovation • 11:30 a.m. at the Miller School of Medicine 

President Frenk, Board of Trustees Chair Stuart A. Miller and Miller School of Medicine leaders will have a ceremonial groundbreaking for the Center for Medical Education and the naming of the Don Soffer Clinical Research Center. The event will be held in the Schoninger Research Quadrangle and will also include remarks from Frenk and Miller about the future of UM.

1095 Northwest 14th Terrace, Miami, Florida 33136

FRIDAY, JAN. 29 

‘Cane Talks • 9:30 a.m. at Donna E. Shalala Student Center

Ten members of the UM community will give 10-minute talks pondering big questions. Speakers include Dean Shelton Berg from the Frost School of Music, Professor and Knight Chair in Visual Journalism Alberto Cairo, Professor of Law Osamudia James and School of Architecture Dean Rodolphe el-Khoury, among others.

Inauguration Ceremony • 2 p.m. in BankUnited Center

Frenk will be officially inaugurated as the sixth president of the university.

Community Reception • 4 p.m. on the Student Center Complex Lakeside Patio

A celebration of Frenk’s inauguration will immediately follow the installation ceremony and is open to the entire UM community.

SATURDAY, JAN. 30

Our Global Future: Teaching, Research, and Discovery in Our New Century • 9:30 a.m. at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS)

President Frenk and RSMAS Dean Roni Avissar will discuss hurdles and plans for the university in its connection to the rest of the world over breakfast. This event is open to RSMAS faculty, staff and students.

4600 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, Florida 33149

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...

Sean Grossman broke the 30-minute mark to set a school record in the men's 10,000m at the Virgi ...