Frenk, Inauguration Week, News

SCHEDULE: Inauguration Week features variety of events, activities

MONDAY, JAN. 25

Basketball game • 7 p.m. at the BankUnited Center

The Hurricanes take on the Duke University Blue Devils in the men’s basketball game Monday night at the BankUnited Center. The Hurricanes are 15-3 and 4-2 in ACC play.

WEDNESDAY, JAN. 27

Firsts at UM • 4 p.m. at the Newman Alumni Center

Some noteworthy “firsts” throughout the university’s history will be on display at the Newman Alumni Center Wednesday afternoon as part of celebrating President Frenk’s roadmap to the university’s centennial. UM Libraries will display an exhibit from its archives and Frenk will have a conversation with historian-author and trustee Arva Moore Parks.

THURSDAY, JAN. 28 

New Century of Medical Education and Innovation • 11:30 a.m. at the Miller School of Medicine 

President Frenk, Board of Trustees Chair Stuart A. Miller and Miller School of Medicine leaders will have a ceremonial groundbreaking for the Center for Medical Education and the naming of the Don Soffer Clinical Research Center. The event will be held in the Schoninger Research Quadrangle and will also include remarks from Frenk and Miller about the future of UM.

1095 Northwest 14th Terrace, Miami, Florida 33136

FRIDAY, JAN. 29 

‘Cane Talks • 9:30 a.m. at Donna E. Shalala Student Center

Ten members of the UM community will give 10-minute talks pondering big questions. Speakers include Dean Shelton Berg from the Frost School of Music, Professor and Knight Chair in Visual Journalism Alberto Cairo, Professor of Law Osamudia James and School of Architecture Dean Rodolphe el-Khoury, among others.

Inauguration Ceremony • 2 p.m. in BankUnited Center

Frenk will be officially inaugurated as the sixth president of the university.

Community Reception • 4 p.m. on the Student Center Complex Lakeside Patio

A celebration of Frenk’s inauguration will immediately follow the installation ceremony and is open to the entire UM community.

SATURDAY, JAN. 30

Our Global Future: Teaching, Research, and Discovery in Our New Century • 9:30 a.m. at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS)

President Frenk and RSMAS Dean Roni Avissar will discuss hurdles and plans for the university in its connection to the rest of the world over breakfast. This event is open to RSMAS faculty, staff and students.

4600 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, Florida 33149

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at icueto@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto.

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...