Sports, Tennis

Women’s tennis heading to ITA National Team Indoor Championship

Ranked No. 13 in the country, the Hurricanes opened the spring season ranked in the Top 25 for the 12th consecutive year. The Canes concluded play in the ITA Kick-Off at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center on Sunday with a 4-2 win over the No. 41 Auburn Tigers to head to the ITA National Team Indoor Championship, also for the 12th straight year. The ITA National Team Indoor Championship will take place from Feb. 5-8.

The Canes were seeded first in their group, which included Auburn, Middle Tennessee and Michigan State. The match began with the Canes duo of freshman Ana Madcur and sophomore Sinead Lohan losing their set 6-0. The Canes rebounded well, winning the next three singles points to take command of the match.

“We had a good little test, losing the doubles point and then having to flip the momentum against a very competitive Auburn team,” Miami Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said to HurricaneSports.com.

Sophomores Wendy Zheng and Silvia Fuentes and freshman Madcur all won their singles matches with ease, taking their matches in straight sets.

No. 9 Stephanie Wagner’s match went unfinished at the end of Sunday’s play with the senior leading 4-1 in the third and deciding set. The tournament was postponed one day after all play was cancelled Friday due to rain.

Prior to playing Auburn in the tournament, the Canes faced Middle Tennessee on Saturday. They won the match in a shutout 4-0. It was the 124th shutout for the Canes under Yaroshuk-Tews. Weather was not an issue for the Canes, despite the powerful winds.

The Hurricanes next face Georgia Tech at 3 p.m. on Friday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Tej Joshi

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...