Basketball, Inauguration Week, Sports

Miami men’s basketball prepares to challenge Blue Devils

Redshirt senior guard Sheldon McClellan goes up for a dunk in the first half of Saturday's game against Wake Forest at the BankUnited Center. The Canes won 77-63 and face Duke Monday evening. Matthew Trabold // Contributing Photographer

Redshirt senior guard Sheldon McClellan goes up for a dunk in the first half of Saturday’s game against Wake Forest at the BankUnited Center. The Canes won 77-63 and face Duke Monday evening. Matthew Trabold // Contributing Photographer

The No. 15 Hurricanes will play one of their most anticipated games of the season at 7 p.m. on Monday night against the No. 20 Duke Blue Devils at the BankUnited Center. The game features two teams jockeying for position in the ACC standings and could provide either with the momentum needed to make a run at a regular-season conference title.

The Canes (13-3, 4-2) enter the game as a rare favorite over the Blue Devils and are hoping to build upon recent wins. After struggling in their first week back from winter break, the Canes rebounded nicely with two convincing wins over Boston College and Wake Forest this past week.

The Canes’ backcourt holds the key to a win on the offensive end. Redshirt senior guards Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan continue to excel on the ball, scoring 14 points apiece in the victory over Wake Forest on Saturday. Sophomore guard Ja’Quan Newton also looks as if he might garner a larger role offensively on Monday night. Newton is coming off of one of the best games of his career, an 18-point performance against Wake Forest, and will look to dismantle the Duke guards off the dribble.

However, the Blue Devils (14-4, 4-3) will arrive in Coral Gables with plenty of motivation. They slid in the rankings after losing three out of their last four games against ACC opponents and desperately need a win to stay in contention for a regular-season ACC title.

The Canes will have to focus defensively on sophomore guard Grayson Allen, who is averaging more than 20 points per game and tallied 28 in a winning effort against North Carolina State on Saturday. Freshman forward Brandon Ingram also poses a daunting task for Miami’s defense. Ingram is a seven-footer with guard skills and has been a major matchup issue for almost every team Duke has played. If the Canes can limit his impact on the game, they will put themselves in a nice position to get a second consecutive victory over the Blue Devils.

The Canes look forward to playing in front of a raucous home crowd and could separate themselves from a cluster of teams at the top of the ACC standings with a statement win. Even after losing three out of their last four games, Duke is still Duke. A win over the Blue Devils would provide the Canes with a much-needed marquee victory that their resume currently lacks.

Cody Brown

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...