Basketball, Inauguration Week, Sports

Miami Hurricanes suffer painful loss to Florida State

Junior guard Adrienne Motley takes a free throw during Miami's 69-58 loss to FSU Sunday afternoon at the BankUnited Center. Motley scored a game high 20 points in the loss. Erum Kidwai // Assistant Photo Editor

Junior guard Adrienne Motley takes a free throw during Miami’s 69-58 loss to FSU Sunday afternoon at the BankUnited Center. Motley scored a game-high 20 points in the loss. Erum Kidwai // Assistant Photo Editor

Head Coach Katie Meier’s quiet voice told the story of the game. After the Hurricanes lost to the rival Seminoles 69-58 at home for the fourth consecutive time on Sunday afternoon, Meier said plenty in her muted speech.

“This is my angry voice. When I’m really angry, it’s low-level and [doesn’t have] a lot of emotion to it,” Meier said. “We weren’t tough together. Together, we weren’t tough when the game was on the line.”

The Canes (17-3, 5-2) found themselves down 60-55 with 2:23 to go after a huge three-pointer by junior guard Adrienne Motley, but the Seminoles pulled away with five straight points. Miami committed three live-ball turnovers in the final two minutes and had 21 for the game.

“Like coach said, we just weren’t tough,” said Motley, who finished with a game-high 20 points. “Live-ball turnovers killed us at the end.”

No. 16 Miami went into the half tied at 31 with No. 14 Florida State, but the Seminoles (15-4, 16-1) led the entire second half due to a hot start in the third quarter from Adut Bulgak. Not even the 2,313 fans at the BankUnited Center, including a record number of students, could quiet Bulgak. The senior center scored nine points in the first five minutes, just shy of the 12 points Miami scored as a team in the entire period.

“I thought Florida State controlled tempo for almost the entire game. They executed through their offenses way better than we did,” Meier said. “Nothing’s easy against Florida State.”

The Canes and Seminoles ended the first half tied at 31 after two wildly different periods to start the game. FSU dominated the opening quarter, making 60 percent of its shots compared to 27 percent for Miami. The Seminoles outscored the Canes 10-2 in points in the paint. FSU led 17-12 after going on a 10-2 run to end the first quarter.

FSU went cold in the second period, finishing the half with 42 percent shooting from the field. The Canes took a 19-18 lead on an 8-0 run in the middle of the period after the Seminoles failed to score a point in just over four minutes of play. Led by redshirt junior forward Keyona Hayes, it was the Canes that bullied the Seminoles near the basket. The Canes scored 12 points in the paint to just four for the Seminoles.

Hayes, donning her menacing black mask for the third straight game, powered the Canes back in the second quarter. The Georgia native had a season-high 12 points at the half to go with her four rebounds, two assists and two steals. Hayes gave the Canes a two-point lead with 44 seconds left when she bulldozed over FSU’s Ivey Slaughter in the paint for an easy layup. A late jumper by Seminole Leticia Romero tied the game at the break.

Florida State shot 47 percent from the field in its sixth consecutive win. Miami entered the day with a four-game winning streak, but 39 percent shooting from the field – including one of seven shooting on threes in the second half – handed the Canes their first loss in three weeks.

The Canes next play Virginia Tech at 7 p.m. on Thursday in Blacksburg, Virginia.

Mark Singer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Miami Hurricanes suffer painful loss to Florida State”

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...