Athletics, Inauguration Week, Sports

Brunch event honors female athletes

Women's basketball Head Coach Katie Meier discusses how athletics helps build confidence in female student athletes during the Celebration of Women's Athletics brunch Sunday in the BankUnited Center. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

Women’s basketball Head Coach Katie Meier discusses how athletics helps build confidence in female student athletes during the Celebration of Women’s Athletics brunch Sunday in the BankUnited Center. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

The University of Miami hosted its second annual Celebration of Women’s Athletics with a brunch followed by the women’s basketball team’s game against Florida State at the BankUnited Center on Sunday afternoon. The event kicked off Inauguration Week for new UM President Julio Frenk.

“We very deliberately chose to tip off inauguration week with athletics. And women’s athletics is a subject very dear to my heart,” Frenk said. “Athletics plays an integral role in the development of young women.”

Women’s basketball Head Coach Katie Meier spoke for all of Miami’s coaches about the function athletics plays in building confidence in student-athletes. “With accomplishment comes confidence. With confidence comes belief. And it has to be in that order,” Meier said. “I truly believe this: a confident woman can change the world.”

Miami, which became the first school to offer an athletic scholarship to a female student-athlete in 1973, honored 10 current female student-athletes at the brunch attended by approximately 270 people. Director of Athletics Blake James and Deputy Director of Athletics Jennifer Strawley introduced the 10 honorees, noting their accomplishments on the field as well as their numerous academic achievements.

“This is something that is truly special and differentiates the University of Miami from the rest of the country,” James said. “It really signifies the important role women’s athletics plays for our university. I’m thrilled with our ability to celebrate the women on campus.”

The 10 honorees were basketball guard Adrienne Motley, diver Kara McCormack, golfer Daniela Darquea, rower Sarah Aschebrock, goalkeeper Catalina Perez, swimmer My Fridell, tennis player Stephanie Wagner, weight thrower Tiffany Okieme, volleyball player Kalysta White and track and field jumper Alexis Wright.

“We want to award our student-athletes who go out in the community and are such fantastic representatives of this university,” said Strawley, who led the planning of the event. “And to celebrate our female student-athletes who don’t get the same spotlight that our men’s student-athletes might get on a regular basis.”

Wright, a senior who plans on attending medical school after graduating, talked about the crucial role her track career has played in her life. “Athletics has given me a platform and a chance to see myself in a new light,” Wright said. “Women’s athletics changed my life and I hope it can do the same for others.”

Mark Singer

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...