Campus Life, News, Video

Battleship tournament celebrates Wellness Center’s 20th anniversary

Students canoed around the indoor pool at the Herbert Wellness Center as the center continued its 20th anniversary commemoration Friday night.

More than 30 students from nine teams participated in a tournament of the game Battleship. Teams navigated canoes through the Wellness Center pool with the goal of using buckets to fill the other canoes with enough water to sink them; the last canoe remaining afloat would win the round. Each team had three buckets to fill with pool water and unload into their opponents’ canoes. They also were given a kickboard to deflect incoming water.

“It was a really good turnout,” said Josh Lewis, a graduate intern at the Wellness Center. “At the end of the day, everybody had fun.”

Participants received commemorative 20th anniversary towels and free ice cream.

“This was a great opportunity for people to come out and hang out on a Friday night,” said David Chu, a senior who played in the tournament.

“We didn’t do the best, but we’re still having so much fun out here,” Chu’s teammate, Brandon Jenkins, said. “We’re building teamwork [and]friendship. I couldn’t ask for anything more.”

Freshman Nick Hartman throws water at an opposing team during Friday's Battleship tournament at the Wellness Center pool. Teams aimed to sink the canoes of opponents using these buckets of water. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Freshman Nick Hartman throws water at an opposing team during Friday’s Battleship tournament at the Wellness Center pool. Teams aimed to sink the canoes of opponents using these buckets of water. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Morgan White, also a senior, was just as enthusiastic about the event. “I loved it … it was a blast. I would recommend it to anyone,” White said.

Senior Bryce McConville was on the team that won the tournament.

“My friend invited me last minute, so we just came out here and it was a lot of fun,” McConville said. “It was great to win.”

McConville and his team won a $75 Rathskeller gift card courtesy of the Wellness Center as their first-place prize.

Another Battleship tournament, in which representatives from all club sports will compete, has been planned. Thirty-two teams are expected to participate.

David Ufberg

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...