Campus Life, News, Video

Battleship tournament celebrates Wellness Center’s 20th anniversary

Students canoed around the indoor pool at the Herbert Wellness Center as the center continued its 20th anniversary commemoration Friday night.

More than 30 students from nine teams participated in a tournament of the game Battleship. Teams navigated canoes through the Wellness Center pool with the goal of using buckets to fill the other canoes with enough water to sink them; the last canoe remaining afloat would win the round. Each team had three buckets to fill with pool water and unload into their opponents’ canoes. They also were given a kickboard to deflect incoming water.

“It was a really good turnout,” said Josh Lewis, a graduate intern at the Wellness Center. “At the end of the day, everybody had fun.”

Participants received commemorative 20th anniversary towels and free ice cream.

“This was a great opportunity for people to come out and hang out on a Friday night,” said David Chu, a senior who played in the tournament.

“We didn’t do the best, but we’re still having so much fun out here,” Chu’s teammate, Brandon Jenkins, said. “We’re building teamwork [and]friendship. I couldn’t ask for anything more.”

Freshman Nick Hartman throws water at an opposing team during Friday's Battleship tournament at the Wellness Center pool. Teams aimed to sink the canoes of opponents using these buckets of water. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Freshman Nick Hartman throws water at an opposing team during Friday’s Battleship tournament at the Wellness Center pool. Teams aimed to sink the canoes of opponents using these buckets of water. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Morgan White, also a senior, was just as enthusiastic about the event. “I loved it … it was a blast. I would recommend it to anyone,” White said.

Senior Bryce McConville was on the team that won the tournament.

“My friend invited me last minute, so we just came out here and it was a lot of fun,” McConville said. “It was great to win.”

McConville and his team won a $75 Rathskeller gift card courtesy of the Wellness Center as their first-place prize.

Another Battleship tournament, in which representatives from all club sports will compete, has been planned. Thirty-two teams are expected to participate.

David Ufberg

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...