‘Selma’ screening serves as impactful end to Martin Luther King Jr. week

20

More than 75 students attended the screening of Selma at the Bill Cosford Cinema Thursday night, marking the end of Martin Luther King Jr. week at the University of Miami.

A line of students flowed into the theater around 9 p.m. One of those students was sophomore Jasia Dickerson, who said she was excited to see a film that she had heard was an accurate representation of history.

“Its part of our history — everyone’s history,” Dickerson said. “It’s important for UM students to understand that to help diversify our campus.”

Selma was shown with the help of Hurricane Productions, United Black Students, and the Cinematic Arts Commission to commemorate the life of King. The Oscar-winning film follows the journey of the 1965 Selma to Montgomery voting rights march organized by King. The march led the Lyndon B. Johnson administration to pass legislation that secured voting rights for black Americans.

Throughout the screening, students were moved to tears by the graphic scenes in the film of activists being beaten by police for attempting to obtain basic rights guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

Sophomore Kacey James said although it was her second time watching Selma, the film was just as powerful the second time. She also said that one of the most special components of the screening was the diverse group of students who attended.

“It’s such a powerful message. It was such a powerful movement,” James said. “Its nice to see all the students of different races — not just African Americans — come out and view the movie.”

Feature photo courtesy Flickr user Σταύρος.

Share.

20 Comments

1. I think the admin of this web page is genuinely working hard in support of his web site, since here every data is quality based material.

2. If that is what you are arranging on performing you are only limiting your very own long term.

With people types of losses, how does Duke hold up?

However, two many years is miles away in the aggressive globe
    of NASCAR.

This psychological preparation will stick with you on race day when you’re determining on whether you need to have to consume
    that additional gel, or it’s just going to give you a stomachache.
    Snopes signifies that the photograph of the two men and women strolling, one particular top a horse and 1 leading an of course oversized puppy, started circulating on the Net lengthy before the story grew to become
    connected to it. I could in fact see them moving each depending on the kind of defense we
    run next season but that is whole diverse story waiting to
    be informed immediately after we retain the services of a defensive coordinator.

Gobern truly deferred his enrollment following shoulder surgery so he nevertheless has
    5 years left to play. Scott Sharp also had an eventful day, with his car snapping all over on him in flip two and creating hefty contact
    on the ideal side. Those two additions could be massive in 2009 for the Huskies.

The casino environment is enjoyable right here and the proximity to MGM Grand, Excalibur, and
    that south end of the Strip is significant for us.
    Sarkisian is fairly familar with this child and I feel he will be ready to locate the correct spot for
    him. But their conferences aren’t as very good as
    the SEC. We did and now fully grasp it’s appeal.

They will be Bettering Your Company Employing Practices and only employ
    when an employee is the only way to advance towards their aims and goals.
    Numerous email programs now scan attachments just before
    they will permit the consumer to open them. Don’t be fooled by it, for the
    reason that capital expenditures will probably drop once
    more in 2012.

There had been 1,376,646 in 2008 and in 2009 it grew
    to 1,5,74,649 – an raise of 198,003. We’re proud to announce that any of us have launched a absolutely new top eleven cash
    hack! Identify and examine your targeted group and/or companies.
    The e mail reports that “it wasn’t received very well.” That is
    not correct.

There is will need for depth at offensive guard and
    I feel these guys could supply some depth and quickness to the position. A number of certain causes
    for each choice are included, and we identify and respect
    that these options and good reasons unquestionably won’t apply for everybody.
    The panthers already misplaced to Louisiana-Lafayette, the
    other crew on best of the conference.

3. JORDAN 9 classic photography bule the newest really stated,
    together with mention it is publicly available turn lastly accredited given that white-hot
    feet. Most recently passed around web based 2 adaptation, one is consist of bottoms, a new is also
    good bed, Jordan company comes with demonstrated previously direct exposure associated with covert bed Breeze Jordan 9 azure design photography
    seeing as local china based online shop manufacturing area yield by mistake unhealthy type of misplay, and also has generated with regards to 10000 pairs.
    Astonished at once everyone also can non improve yet take into consideration a situation, that
    will be Jordan product is supposed to be managing this error integrated 10,
    000 twos concerning improper style? Four models through proper
    footwear can be 302370-007, though wiped out completely is
    a very common blow, our present-day spot all how to cope with this really is collection of shoes and
    boots happens to be indecipherable, next, let’s look at that authorized turn.

4. After we tested this PewDiePie Legend of the Brofist Hack like somebody’s life relied on it, we can say
    for certain that every one the glitches have been crushed.

5. Caso de que utilicéis leche de fórmula por el motivo que sea podéis comenzar con la nutrición complementaria
    a los cuatro meses, mas siempre siguiendo con las indicaciones que sobre todo incluyen la recomendación de introducir los comestibles
    de uno en uno para detectar posibles alergias.

6. Most packaged wrappers and marketin hype will try
    to make consumers believe that soome nutrition bars are the golden answer to
    obtaining that lean body without lifting a finger or doing anny
    exercise. You’d actually have a stronger design if youu
    get the sq. Now individuals are well conscious with the reality that the height of bar
    stools is too important because clients consider it.

7. The reason they are able to provide cheap sports car insurance, again, is because they
    do not specialize in it. For example, if you want
    to buy a jeep, you have to consider the jeep
    accessories that need be bought separately and include their cost in your
    budget. USB port enabled with data reader capability and mode.

8. It’s genuinely very difficult in this full of activity life to listen news on Television,
    therefore I only use world wide web for that reason, and take
    the latest information.