‘Selma’ screening serves as impactful end to Martin Luther King Jr. week

More than 75 students attended the screening of Selma at the Bill Cosford Cinema Thursday night, marking the end of Martin Luther King Jr. week at the University of Miami.

A line of students flowed into the theater around 9 p.m. One of those students was sophomore Jasia Dickerson, who said she was excited to see a film that she had heard was an accurate representation of history.

“Its part of our history — everyone’s history,” Dickerson said. “It’s important for UM students to understand that to help diversify our campus.”

Selma was shown with the help of Hurricane Productions, United Black Students, and the Cinematic Arts Commission to commemorate the life of King. The Oscar-winning film follows the journey of the 1965 Selma to Montgomery voting rights march organized by King. The march led the Lyndon B. Johnson administration to pass legislation that secured voting rights for black Americans.

Throughout the screening, students were moved to tears by the graphic scenes in the film of activists being beaten by police for attempting to obtain basic rights guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

Sophomore Kacey James said although it was her second time watching Selma, the film was just as powerful the second time. She also said that one of the most special components of the screening was the diverse group of students who attended.

“It’s such a powerful message. It was such a powerful movement,” James said. “Its nice to see all the students of different races — not just African Americans — come out and view the movie.”

Feature photo courtesy Flickr user Σταύρος.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...