‘Selma’ screening serves as impactful end to Martin Luther King Jr. week

More than 75 students attended the screening of Selma at the Bill Cosford Cinema Thursday night, marking the end of Martin Luther King Jr. week at the University of Miami.

A line of students flowed into the theater around 9 p.m. One of those students was sophomore Jasia Dickerson, who said she was excited to see a film that she had heard was an accurate representation of history.

“Its part of our history — everyone’s history,” Dickerson said. “It’s important for UM students to understand that to help diversify our campus.”

Selma was shown with the help of Hurricane Productions, United Black Students, and the Cinematic Arts Commission to commemorate the life of King. The Oscar-winning film follows the journey of the 1965 Selma to Montgomery voting rights march organized by King. The march led the Lyndon B. Johnson administration to pass legislation that secured voting rights for black Americans.

Throughout the screening, students were moved to tears by the graphic scenes in the film of activists being beaten by police for attempting to obtain basic rights guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

Sophomore Kacey James said although it was her second time watching Selma, the film was just as powerful the second time. She also said that one of the most special components of the screening was the diverse group of students who attended.

“It’s such a powerful message. It was such a powerful movement,” James said. “Its nice to see all the students of different races — not just African Americans — come out and view the movie.”

Feature photo courtesy Flickr user Σταύρος.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...