Campus Life, Community, News

Vigil mourns loss of reporter, former resident assistant Jordan Schuman

Not a dry eye was on the Lakeside Patio Thursday night, as the University of Miami community came together to mourn the loss and celebrate the life of a resident assistant, a sister and a friend.

Jordan Schuman was heavily involved in campus activities, including the student-run TV channel, UMTV, and the sorority Zeta Tau Alpha (ZTA). At 22, she went on to become a multimedia reporter for WPDE in South Carolina, before her untimely passing in a car accident in December 2015.

Robyn Fisher, assistant director of Hillel, opened the ceremony with a few words, and shared memories of her trips to Israel and Buenos Aires with Jordan and reminded everybody of the “precariousness of life.”

“It’s hard to believe we are here to remember somebody who was just here with us,” Fisher said.

Michelle Maldonado, faculty master in Hecht residential college where Jordan was a resident assistant, spoke of Schuman as family, and described how they had met many years before, and grown extremely close.

“I loved her like a little sister, and she was like a big sister to my kids,” Maldonado said.

Jordan’s sorority sisters handed out letters for the community to write to Jordan’s parents, and sang a song after a moment of silence.

“Jordan radiated passion for her work, her family, her friends, and her sisters,” said Megan Seff of ZTA. “She will be dearly missed by all who were lucky enough to have her in their lives, no matter for how short or long of a time.”

Ritika Malkani

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...