Campus Life, Community, News

Vigil mourns loss of reporter, former resident assistant Jordan Schuman

Not a dry eye was on the Lakeside Patio Thursday night, as the University of Miami community came together to mourn the loss and celebrate the life of a resident assistant, a sister and a friend.

Jordan Schuman was heavily involved in campus activities, including the student-run TV channel, UMTV, and the sorority Zeta Tau Alpha (ZTA). At 22, she went on to become a multimedia reporter for WPDE in South Carolina, before her untimely passing in a car accident in December 2015.

Robyn Fisher, assistant director of Hillel, opened the ceremony with a few words, and shared memories of her trips to Israel and Buenos Aires with Jordan and reminded everybody of the “precariousness of life.”

“It’s hard to believe we are here to remember somebody who was just here with us,” Fisher said.

Michelle Maldonado, faculty master in Hecht residential college where Jordan was a resident assistant, spoke of Schuman as family, and described how they had met many years before, and grown extremely close.

“I loved her like a little sister, and she was like a big sister to my kids,” Maldonado said.

Jordan’s sorority sisters handed out letters for the community to write to Jordan’s parents, and sang a song after a moment of silence.

“Jordan radiated passion for her work, her family, her friends, and her sisters,” said Megan Seff of ZTA. “She will be dearly missed by all who were lucky enough to have her in their lives, no matter for how short or long of a time.”

Ritika Malkani

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team fought valiantly at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center, but ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...