Administration, Campus Life, Frenk, News

News Briefs 1/21: President Julio Frenk’s Inauguration, Tunnel of Oppression

President Julio Frenk’s Inauguration

Three thousand people have RSVP’d for the inauguration of Dr. Julio Frenk as the sixth president of the University of Miami as of Jan. 20, according to Margot Winick, a university spokesperson. Despite taking office in August 2015, Frenk chose to hold his inauguration after a semester of observing and learning about the university. The inauguration, which will be held at the BankUnited Center on Friday, Jan. 29, will be preceded by a week of events and followed immediately by a community reception. The marching band will lead a procession from the BankUnited center to the community reception on the Lakeside Patio, where there will be food and music.

A list of the different inauguration events can be found at http://inauguration.miami.edu/events/index.html. The following link is available exclusively to university students to RSVP: http://invite.miami.edu.

Tunnel of Oppression

Tours through the multimedia exhibit known as the Tunnel of Oppression begin on Jan. 25 and run through Jan. 27, from 4-10 p.m. The exhibit is meant to expose participants to acts of oppression throughout the world, with rooms ranging in themes from “Tools of Oppression,” “Environment,” “Mental Health,” “LGBTQ,” “Racism,” Women’s Issues,” “Religion,” Immigration,” “Human Trafficking” and “Reflection.” For more information, contact tunnel.umiami@gmail.com or 305-284-4483.

William Riggin

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dewan Huell is the only Miami native on the University of Miami men’s basketball team, and he wears ...

1. HEAT: Look out, 'cuz the Heat are sizzlin' hot!: Looks like Dion Waiters is done for th ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes veterans and newcomers alike opened their season strong at the UAB Blazer Invitational. ...