Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: Westaway article contained misconceptions

Last week, The Miami Hurricane published an article titled “Professor Katharine Westaway asked not to return after controversial activism.” As current and past directors of the Women’s and Gender Studies program (WGS), we would like to clarify potential misconceptions in the article. First, the article quotes Dr. Westaway as a lecturer in Women’s and Gender Studies. Dr. Westaway was a lecturer in English Composition, not Women’s and Gender Studies, which, as a program (not a department) does not appoint faculty or lecturers.

In the article, Dr. Westaway is quoted as stating that “We got no funding to screen ‘The Hunting Ground’ from the WGS department, which is supposed to be having a sexual assault-themed year.”

Dr. Westaway did not submit a proposal to WGS for funding of The Hunting Ground during the call for proposals last spring or last fall. As a result of the call, WGS held a colloquium early December on the topic of sexual and domestic violence, and is organizing two large-scale events on the topic this spring. In addition, we formed a working group and sent recommendations for further programming and policies on the issue to the university administration. The Women’s and Gender Studies Program is strongly committed to programming on the issue of sexual assault, and looks forward to proposals from the UM community during its next call for proposals. For those of you interested in hearing from us, please send an email to wgs@miami.edu, and we will gladly add you to our listserv.

Merike Blofield, Director of WGS July 2015- present

Louise Davidson-Schmich, Director of WGS 2014-2015

Steven F. Butterman, Director of WGS 2011-2014

Traci Ardren, Director of WGS 2008-2011

Football season is nearly upon us. The University of Miami’s 2017 fall camp opens at 9 a.m. Tuesday ...

In an age in which committing once to a college football program isn’t always enough for fans and co ...

A six-pack of Canes notes: • It’s just different at UM – the camaraderie, the brotherhood, the desir ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt’s spin through the ESPN Car Wash on Tuesday began with ...

University of Miami legendary receiver Michael Irvin is no doubt relieved, as likely is UM football ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...