Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: Westaway article contained misconceptions

Last week, The Miami Hurricane published an article titled “Professor Katharine Westaway asked not to return after controversial activism.” As current and past directors of the Women’s and Gender Studies program (WGS), we would like to clarify potential misconceptions in the article. First, the article quotes Dr. Westaway as a lecturer in Women’s and Gender Studies. Dr. Westaway was a lecturer in English Composition, not Women’s and Gender Studies, which, as a program (not a department) does not appoint faculty or lecturers.

In the article, Dr. Westaway is quoted as stating that “We got no funding to screen ‘The Hunting Ground’ from the WGS department, which is supposed to be having a sexual assault-themed year.”

Dr. Westaway did not submit a proposal to WGS for funding of The Hunting Ground during the call for proposals last spring or last fall. As a result of the call, WGS held a colloquium early December on the topic of sexual and domestic violence, and is organizing two large-scale events on the topic this spring. In addition, we formed a working group and sent recommendations for further programming and policies on the issue to the university administration. The Women’s and Gender Studies Program is strongly committed to programming on the issue of sexual assault, and looks forward to proposals from the UM community during its next call for proposals. For those of you interested in hearing from us, please send an email to wgs@miami.edu, and we will gladly add you to our listserv.

Merike Blofield, Director of WGS July 2015- present

Louise Davidson-Schmich, Director of WGS 2014-2015

Steven F. Butterman, Director of WGS 2011-2014

Traci Ardren, Director of WGS 2008-2011

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...