Dance, Edge

Kaos performance showcases hip-hop, contemporary dance

Kaos President Megan Bullock kicks up into a headstand during the Kaos Kickoff Showcase Wednesday night at the Rock. The event was originally scheduled for the fall semester, but was rescheduled due to inclement weather. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

When University of Miami co-ed hip-hop team KAOS’s fall showcase was rained out, the team decided to spend the semester perfecting their routines for a spring showcase which was held Wednesday night on the Rock.

The performance included a mix of various styles of hip-hop and contemporary dance. Two dancers from Controlled KAOS, a group in Hialeah started by a few of the original UM KAOS members, were guest performers alongside Hurricane Bhangra, UJhoom and others, some of whom were KAOS alums.

The dances of the night were primarily choreographed by various members of KAOS with the help of local Miami dancers, including KAOS alum Rickey Pierre and dancer Christian Castillo.

Though not trained in dance, junior Montana Pflaster and other dancers found the guidance of the local choreographers and alumni to be helpful in perfecting their performances.

The team practiced intensely for the week leading up to the showcase, with some practices lasting until the sun came up.

“We felt really good about this and we were super prepared,” sophomore Eli Furman said about the time they had to fine-tune their routine.

The team’s hard work paid off at the end of the night with the support of a large crowd of students.

“I’m literally always in awe when I see these showcases and I admire their passion,” said sophomore Swetha Davuluri.

Attendee Shawn Peter also found the performances highly entertaining.

“There were a lot of different types of styles and the finale blew it out of the park,” he said.

Even after successful performances like this showcase, the team still works hard to further improve their moves.

“Right after the show, we’re all going to go to the president’s house and watch our performance,” said junior member Raphaelle Kernisant.

But for the team, KAOS is more than just focusing on their performances, it’s about connecting with one another.

“We’re not just a crew, we’re really a family,” Pflaster said.

Senior Megan Bullock, Kaos president, expressed a similar sentiment, saying the team has been her home since freshman year.

“It’s not just about dancing, we’re such a tight-knit group who love and respect each other,” she said. “What I’m really going to miss the most about college is my Kaos family.”

The group performs at various events on campus and in the community like UM basketball games and Miami Mayhem, an Indian dance competition. This Sunday in the Wellness Center Kaos will be hosting a spring clinic open to all wanting to learn from the experienced dancers.

About Author

Shyamali Mahure

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Kaos performance showcases hip-hop, contemporary dance”

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...