Dance, Edge

Kaos performance showcases hip-hop, contemporary dance

Kaos President Megan Bullock kicks up into a headstand during the Kaos Kickoff Showcase Wednesday night at the Rock. The event was originally scheduled for the fall semester, but was rescheduled due to inclement weather. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

When University of Miami co-ed hip-hop team KAOS’s fall showcase was rained out, the team decided to spend the semester perfecting their routines for a spring showcase which was held Wednesday night on the Rock.

The performance included a mix of various styles of hip-hop and contemporary dance. Two dancers from Controlled KAOS, a group in Hialeah started by a few of the original UM KAOS members, were guest performers alongside Hurricane Bhangra, UJhoom and others, some of whom were KAOS alums.

The dances of the night were primarily choreographed by various members of KAOS with the help of local Miami dancers, including KAOS alum Rickey Pierre and dancer Christian Castillo.

Though not trained in dance, junior Montana Pflaster and other dancers found the guidance of the local choreographers and alumni to be helpful in perfecting their performances.

The team practiced intensely for the week leading up to the showcase, with some practices lasting until the sun came up.

“We felt really good about this and we were super prepared,” sophomore Eli Furman said about the time they had to fine-tune their routine.

The team’s hard work paid off at the end of the night with the support of a large crowd of students.

“I’m literally always in awe when I see these showcases and I admire their passion,” said sophomore Swetha Davuluri.

Attendee Shawn Peter also found the performances highly entertaining.

“There were a lot of different types of styles and the finale blew it out of the park,” he said.

Even after successful performances like this showcase, the team still works hard to further improve their moves.

“Right after the show, we’re all going to go to the president’s house and watch our performance,” said junior member Raphaelle Kernisant.

But for the team, KAOS is more than just focusing on their performances, it’s about connecting with one another.

“We’re not just a crew, we’re really a family,” Pflaster said.

Senior Megan Bullock, Kaos president, expressed a similar sentiment, saying the team has been her home since freshman year.

“It’s not just about dancing, we’re such a tight-knit group who love and respect each other,” she said. “What I’m really going to miss the most about college is my Kaos family.”

The group performs at various events on campus and in the community like UM basketball games and Miami Mayhem, an Indian dance competition. This Sunday in the Wellness Center Kaos will be hosting a spring clinic open to all wanting to learn from the experienced dancers.

Shyamali Mahure

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Kaos performance showcases hip-hop, contemporary dance”

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami women's tennis team is set to begin its 2017 fall season this weekend, with the major ...

The Miami Hurricanes evacuated Coral Gables ahead of Hurricane Irma and now they move forward as a f ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns to the court this weekend to host Virginia Tech and ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team opens its 2017-18 season Friday at the eighth ann ...

The Hurricanes will be playing for all of South Florida when they host Toledo on Saturday at Hard Ro ...