Dance, Edge

Kaos performance showcases hip-hop, contemporary dance

Kaos President Megan Bullock kicks up into a headstand during the Kaos Kickoff Showcase Wednesday night at the Rock. The event was originally scheduled for the fall semester, but was rescheduled due to inclement weather. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

When University of Miami co-ed hip-hop team KAOS’s fall showcase was rained out, the team decided to spend the semester perfecting their routines for a spring showcase which was held Wednesday night on the Rock.

The performance included a mix of various styles of hip-hop and contemporary dance. Two dancers from Controlled KAOS, a group in Hialeah started by a few of the original UM KAOS members, were guest performers alongside Hurricane Bhangra, UJhoom and others, some of whom were KAOS alums.

The dances of the night were primarily choreographed by various members of KAOS with the help of local Miami dancers, including KAOS alum Rickey Pierre and dancer Christian Castillo.

Though not trained in dance, junior Montana Pflaster and other dancers found the guidance of the local choreographers and alumni to be helpful in perfecting their performances.

The team practiced intensely for the week leading up to the showcase, with some practices lasting until the sun came up.

“We felt really good about this and we were super prepared,” sophomore Eli Furman said about the time they had to fine-tune their routine.

The team’s hard work paid off at the end of the night with the support of a large crowd of students.

“I’m literally always in awe when I see these showcases and I admire their passion,” said sophomore Swetha Davuluri.

Attendee Shawn Peter also found the performances highly entertaining.

“There were a lot of different types of styles and the finale blew it out of the park,” he said.

Even after successful performances like this showcase, the team still works hard to further improve their moves.

“Right after the show, we’re all going to go to the president’s house and watch our performance,” said junior member Raphaelle Kernisant.

But for the team, KAOS is more than just focusing on their performances, it’s about connecting with one another.

“We’re not just a crew, we’re really a family,” Pflaster said.

Senior Megan Bullock, Kaos president, expressed a similar sentiment, saying the team has been her home since freshman year.

“It’s not just about dancing, we’re such a tight-knit group who love and respect each other,” she said. “What I’m really going to miss the most about college is my Kaos family.”

The group performs at various events on campus and in the community like UM basketball games and Miami Mayhem, an Indian dance competition. This Sunday in the Wellness Center Kaos will be hosting a spring clinic open to all wanting to learn from the experienced dancers.

Shyamali Mahure

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

University leaders from the Americas explore creating a Hemispheric University Consortium to work to ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...