Dance, Edge

Kaos performance showcases hip-hop, contemporary dance

Kaos President Megan Bullock kicks up into a headstand during the Kaos Kickoff Showcase Wednesday night at the Rock. The event was originally scheduled for the fall semester, but was rescheduled due to inclement weather. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

When University of Miami co-ed hip-hop team KAOS’s fall showcase was rained out, the team decided to spend the semester perfecting their routines for a spring showcase which was held Wednesday night on the Rock.

The performance included a mix of various styles of hip-hop and contemporary dance. Two dancers from Controlled KAOS, a group in Hialeah started by a few of the original UM KAOS members, were guest performers alongside Hurricane Bhangra, UJhoom and others, some of whom were KAOS alums.

The dances of the night were primarily choreographed by various members of KAOS with the help of local Miami dancers, including KAOS alum Rickey Pierre and dancer Christian Castillo.

Though not trained in dance, junior Montana Pflaster and other dancers found the guidance of the local choreographers and alumni to be helpful in perfecting their performances.

The team practiced intensely for the week leading up to the showcase, with some practices lasting until the sun came up.

“We felt really good about this and we were super prepared,” sophomore Eli Furman said about the time they had to fine-tune their routine.

The team’s hard work paid off at the end of the night with the support of a large crowd of students.

“I’m literally always in awe when I see these showcases and I admire their passion,” said sophomore Swetha Davuluri.

Attendee Shawn Peter also found the performances highly entertaining.

“There were a lot of different types of styles and the finale blew it out of the park,” he said.

Even after successful performances like this showcase, the team still works hard to further improve their moves.

“Right after the show, we’re all going to go to the president’s house and watch our performance,” said junior member Raphaelle Kernisant.

But for the team, KAOS is more than just focusing on their performances, it’s about connecting with one another.

“We’re not just a crew, we’re really a family,” Pflaster said.

Senior Megan Bullock, Kaos president, expressed a similar sentiment, saying the team has been her home since freshman year.

“It’s not just about dancing, we’re such a tight-knit group who love and respect each other,” she said. “What I’m really going to miss the most about college is my Kaos family.”

The group performs at various events on campus and in the community like UM basketball games and Miami Mayhem, an Indian dance competition. This Sunday in the Wellness Center Kaos will be hosting a spring clinic open to all wanting to learn from the experienced dancers.

Shyamali Mahure

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Kaos performance showcases hip-hop, contemporary dance”

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on No. 64 Ana Oparenovic Wednesday at 8 a.m., while Si ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...