Football, Sports

Hurricanes’ coaching staff gears up for National Signing Day

online-map-screenshot

Graphic by Emma Deardorff

Although the Hurricanes have not played a game in nearly a month, the football season never really ends. National Signing Day is on Feb. 3, just two weeks away. Thus far, the Canes have the No. 18 ranked recruiting class, according to Rivals.com. The team is still seeking to add players to its class, but the players who are already committed promise a bright future for the Canes.

The class, consisting of six four-star recruits, nine three-star recruits and one two-star recruit, is highlighted by quarterback Jack Allison from Palmetto, Florida. He should be the future quarterback and face of the Canes when sophomore quarterback Brad Kaaya leaves the program.

“He reminds me a lot of Brad Kaaya on how he drives the ball, how he throws the deep outs and comebacks,” former UM Offensive Coordinator James Coley said to the Miami Herald.

Allison was an Under Armour All-American in his senior season at Palmetto High School. The traditional pocket passer capable of picking apart defenses is the No. 6 ranked pro-style quarterback in the 2016 class, according to ESPN.

“He’s an old school, classic drop-back passer, [he]loves to stand in the pocket and fire away. [He] can make all the throws and he has the ‘it’ factor,” ESPN’s Jamie Newberg said to the Herald.

Allison, who is expected to redshirt next season with Kaaya still on the roster, is one of five early enrollees the Canes have this class. In addition to Allison, defensive end Patrick Bethel and linebackers Zach McCloud, Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman also enrolled early at UM. Quarterman, an Army All-American, is the No. 2 rated inside linebacker in the 2016 class, according to ESPN. Quarterman is a traditional big-hitting linebacker who excels in the box.

“Quarterman can be a really good inside guy between the tackles,” Newberg said.

The addition of two four-star wide receivers is key to the Canes’ future success, as Miami is losing two of its top receivers from this past season in Rashawn Scott and Herb Waters. ESPN’s No. 67 ranked overall player Sam Bruce, another Under Armour All-American, projects to be a top receiver for the program. The second four-star receiver is Gulliver Prep’s Dionte Mullins. Mullins is a versatile player who can contribute at both receiver and cornerback.

The Hurricane coaching staff is making a final push to reel in more top recruits before National Signing Day. Head Coach Mark Richt and the rest of his staff hit the road to visit players on Jan. 14. Over the last week, Richt has traveled all across the southeastern United States, ranging from Palm Beach, Florida to Dallas, Texas.

Richt has been a proven recruiter throughout his career. The Bulldogs finished with a top-25 ranked recruiting class all 15 seasons when Richt was the coach at the University of Georgia.

About Author

Tej Joshi

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Hurricanes’ coaching staff gears up for National Signing Day”

1. U-man says:

No fives, four fours, nine threes and one two? I am worried about our ’16 class. We need to be much more aggressive on the fives and fours, judicious on the threes, and wary of the twos.

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...