Football, Sports

Hurricanes’ coaching staff gears up for National Signing Day

online-map-screenshot

Graphic by Emma Deardorff

Although the Hurricanes have not played a game in nearly a month, the football season never really ends. National Signing Day is on Feb. 3, just two weeks away. Thus far, the Canes have the No. 18 ranked recruiting class, according to Rivals.com. The team is still seeking to add players to its class, but the players who are already committed promise a bright future for the Canes.

The class, consisting of six four-star recruits, nine three-star recruits and one two-star recruit, is highlighted by quarterback Jack Allison from Palmetto, Florida. He should be the future quarterback and face of the Canes when sophomore quarterback Brad Kaaya leaves the program.

“He reminds me a lot of Brad Kaaya on how he drives the ball, how he throws the deep outs and comebacks,” former UM Offensive Coordinator James Coley said to the Miami Herald.

Allison was an Under Armour All-American in his senior season at Palmetto High School. The traditional pocket passer capable of picking apart defenses is the No. 6 ranked pro-style quarterback in the 2016 class, according to ESPN.

“He’s an old school, classic drop-back passer, [he]loves to stand in the pocket and fire away. [He] can make all the throws and he has the ‘it’ factor,” ESPN’s Jamie Newberg said to the Herald.

Allison, who is expected to redshirt next season with Kaaya still on the roster, is one of five early enrollees the Canes have this class. In addition to Allison, defensive end Patrick Bethel and linebackers Zach McCloud, Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman also enrolled early at UM. Quarterman, an Army All-American, is the No. 2 rated inside linebacker in the 2016 class, according to ESPN. Quarterman is a traditional big-hitting linebacker who excels in the box.

“Quarterman can be a really good inside guy between the tackles,” Newberg said.

The addition of two four-star wide receivers is key to the Canes’ future success, as Miami is losing two of its top receivers from this past season in Rashawn Scott and Herb Waters. ESPN’s No. 67 ranked overall player Sam Bruce, another Under Armour All-American, projects to be a top receiver for the program. The second four-star receiver is Gulliver Prep’s Dionte Mullins. Mullins is a versatile player who can contribute at both receiver and cornerback.

The Hurricane coaching staff is making a final push to reel in more top recruits before National Signing Day. Head Coach Mark Richt and the rest of his staff hit the road to visit players on Jan. 14. Over the last week, Richt has traveled all across the southeastern United States, ranging from Palm Beach, Florida to Dallas, Texas.

Richt has been a proven recruiter throughout his career. The Bulldogs finished with a top-25 ranked recruiting class all 15 seasons when Richt was the coach at the University of Georgia.

Tej Joshi

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Hurricanes’ coaching staff gears up for National Signing Day”

1. U-man says:

No fives, four fours, nine threes and one two? I am worried about our ’16 class. We need to be much more aggressive on the fives and fours, judicious on the threes, and wary of the twos.

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami Hurricanes are set to take on the Toledo Rockets at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Nathan Kuck and Maryam Jawid led the University of Miami cross country program with top 10 finishes ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...