Football, Sports

Hurricanes’ coaching staff gears up for National Signing Day

online-map-screenshot

Graphic by Emma Deardorff

Although the Hurricanes have not played a game in nearly a month, the football season never really ends. National Signing Day is on Feb. 3, just two weeks away. Thus far, the Canes have the No. 18 ranked recruiting class, according to Rivals.com. The team is still seeking to add players to its class, but the players who are already committed promise a bright future for the Canes.

The class, consisting of six four-star recruits, nine three-star recruits and one two-star recruit, is highlighted by quarterback Jack Allison from Palmetto, Florida. He should be the future quarterback and face of the Canes when sophomore quarterback Brad Kaaya leaves the program.

“He reminds me a lot of Brad Kaaya on how he drives the ball, how he throws the deep outs and comebacks,” former UM Offensive Coordinator James Coley said to the Miami Herald.

Allison was an Under Armour All-American in his senior season at Palmetto High School. The traditional pocket passer capable of picking apart defenses is the No. 6 ranked pro-style quarterback in the 2016 class, according to ESPN.

“He’s an old school, classic drop-back passer, [he]loves to stand in the pocket and fire away. [He] can make all the throws and he has the ‘it’ factor,” ESPN’s Jamie Newberg said to the Herald.

Allison, who is expected to redshirt next season with Kaaya still on the roster, is one of five early enrollees the Canes have this class. In addition to Allison, defensive end Patrick Bethel and linebackers Zach McCloud, Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman also enrolled early at UM. Quarterman, an Army All-American, is the No. 2 rated inside linebacker in the 2016 class, according to ESPN. Quarterman is a traditional big-hitting linebacker who excels in the box.

“Quarterman can be a really good inside guy between the tackles,” Newberg said.

The addition of two four-star wide receivers is key to the Canes’ future success, as Miami is losing two of its top receivers from this past season in Rashawn Scott and Herb Waters. ESPN’s No. 67 ranked overall player Sam Bruce, another Under Armour All-American, projects to be a top receiver for the program. The second four-star receiver is Gulliver Prep’s Dionte Mullins. Mullins is a versatile player who can contribute at both receiver and cornerback.

The Hurricane coaching staff is making a final push to reel in more top recruits before National Signing Day. Head Coach Mark Richt and the rest of his staff hit the road to visit players on Jan. 14. Over the last week, Richt has traveled all across the southeastern United States, ranging from Palm Beach, Florida to Dallas, Texas.

Richt has been a proven recruiter throughout his career. The Bulldogs finished with a top-25 ranked recruiting class all 15 seasons when Richt was the coach at the University of Georgia.

Tej Joshi

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...