Academics, Administration, Community, News

History Department Chair Mary Lindemann discusses recently released book

Historian Dr. Mary Lindemann talks about her new book "The Merchant Republics: Amsterdam, Antwerp, and Hamburg" at Books and Books Wednesday night. "The Merchant Republics" is the sixth book she has published. Victoria McKaba // Assistant Photo Editor

Historian Mary Lindemann talks about her new book “The Merchant Republics: Amsterdam, Antwerp, and Hamburg” at Books & Books Wednesday night. “The Merchant Republics” is the sixth book she has published. Victoria McKaba // Assistant Photo Editor

The chair of the University of Miami’s history department unveiled her new book to a full crowd at Books & Books in Coral Gables on Wednesday evening.

Mary Lindemann’s newest publication, “The Merchant Republics,” discusses how Amsterdam, Antwerp and Hamburg developed as “communities of commerce” over the course of the 18th century. She analyzes the political structures, economic factors, histories and cultural standards of the three cities and how these characteristics set such economic powerhouses apart from each other and from the rest of the world.

For Lindemann, the writing process was anything but swift. “It always takes a long time for an academic book to be published and I was very, very lucky with my press, it only took two years,” she said.

The idea of the book, however, was around much longer than that. Lindemann started doing research on the book in 1997.

The Merchant Republics is Lindemann’s sixth major book. She also has titles such as “Patriots and Paupers” (named “An Outstanding Academic Book for 1990” by Choice Magazine) and “Health and Healing in Eighteenth-Century Germany” (winner of William H. Welch Medal book prize) under her belt.

Despite this, Lindemann always finds it exciting to publish a new book. “It’s still a thrill to get the first copy and open it up and to see what it really looks like,” she said.

Lindemann received her Ph.D. in History from the University of Cincinnati in 1980. She has received many major scholarly awards, including the National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship and the John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship, among numerous other impressive academic accomplishments.

Lindemann has been a professor at UM since 2004. She became the chair of the history department in 2010. She will be teaching her History of Medicine course during the upcoming fall semester as part of the medical humanities minor at UM.

“The Merchant Republics: Amsterdam, Antwerp, and Hamburg, 1648-1790” is available for purchase from Cambridge University Press.

David Ufberg

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...