Campus Life, National News, News

Republican debate to be held at UM

UPDATED, 8:36 p.m. Jan. 20:

Chris Dalton, President of the UM College Republicans, was excited to hear the Republican nominees would be debating at the school.

“The announcement that the University of Miami will host a Republican Primary Debate is exciting news for the entire UM family. College students will bear the burden of the priorities and policies of the next president, and as such we are eager to play such a vital role in helping to vet and select the next commander-in-chief. As an organization, the University of Miami College Republicans have been actively following all of the debates and are excited at the prospect of not only being able to watch a debate live, but to host it right on our campus. Just five days before the Florida primary, this debate could be the deciding factor for many voters here in Florida. Regardless political party, all 16,000 students are fortunate to have this major campaign event happening at the University of Miami.”

The University of Miami will play a role in the selection of the next Republican nominee for the 2016 presidential election.

The Republican National Committee announced Wednesday that the school will host a debate on March 10, according to the Miami Herald. The debate will be  five days before the Florida Republican primary and one day after a Democratic primary debate will be held at Miami Dade College. CNN, the Washington Times and Salem Radio Network will lead the debate.

During the 2008 presidential election cycle, the school hosted primary debates for both the Republican and Democratic parties. Both were led by Univision. UM also hosted a general election debate between President George W. Bush and John Kerry in 2004.

Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, as well as Florida Senator and UM Law School grad Marco Rubio, could be involved in the debate if they make it through the month and a half of caucuses leading up the debate, which is the last scheduled debate in the Republican primary cycle.

A University spokesperson did not confirm or deny the report.

Featured image courtesy Flickr Ninian Reid

William Riggin

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...