Campus Life, National News, News

Republican debate to be held at UM

UPDATED, 8:36 p.m. Jan. 20:

Chris Dalton, President of the UM College Republicans, was excited to hear the Republican nominees would be debating at the school.

“The announcement that the University of Miami will host a Republican Primary Debate is exciting news for the entire UM family. College students will bear the burden of the priorities and policies of the next president, and as such we are eager to play such a vital role in helping to vet and select the next commander-in-chief. As an organization, the University of Miami College Republicans have been actively following all of the debates and are excited at the prospect of not only being able to watch a debate live, but to host it right on our campus. Just five days before the Florida primary, this debate could be the deciding factor for many voters here in Florida. Regardless political party, all 16,000 students are fortunate to have this major campaign event happening at the University of Miami.”

The University of Miami will play a role in the selection of the next Republican nominee for the 2016 presidential election.

The Republican National Committee announced Wednesday that the school will host a debate on March 10, according to the Miami Herald. The debate will be  five days before the Florida Republican primary and one day after a Democratic primary debate will be held at Miami Dade College. CNN, the Washington Times and Salem Radio Network will lead the debate.

During the 2008 presidential election cycle, the school hosted primary debates for both the Republican and Democratic parties. Both were led by Univision. UM also hosted a general election debate between President George W. Bush and John Kerry in 2004.

Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, as well as Florida Senator and UM Law School grad Marco Rubio, could be involved in the debate if they make it through the month and a half of caucuses leading up the debate, which is the last scheduled debate in the Republican primary cycle.

A University spokesperson did not confirm or deny the report.

Featured image courtesy Flickr Ninian Reid

William Riggin

5 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Republican debate to be held at UM”

1. Joy says:

@Joy Well that happens every year regardless :/

2. Maria says:

Any information on tickets?

3. Janiel says:

@Joy Adams – TOUCHE, madame, but I would have to concur with you on that one.

4. GetReal says:

It has been happening for the last 6 years.

5. Joy Adams says:

I would rather lose to FSU than see Donald Trump on my beloved campus.

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...