Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes men’s basketball ends two-game losing streak with 67-53 win over Boston College

The Hurricanes ended their two-game road skid with a 67-53 win over Boston College in Massachusetts on Wednesday night. The Canes fell from No. 8 to No. 15 in the rankings after consecutive losses to Virginia and Clemson, but a strong second-half performance gave Miami its first win in nearly two weeks. The Canes are now 9-0 against Boston College under Head Coach Jim Larrañaga and have won the last 11 contests overall against the Eagles.

The Canes (14-3, 3-2) got off to a solid start in the first half, going 5-of-8 from the field to take an 11-7 lead seven minutes into the game. The team missed its next six shots but still held a four-point lead with 10:24 to go thanks to four turnovers by the Eagles. Boston College (7-11, 0-5) turned the ball over 12 times in the first half alone.

The Eagles went on a 10-1 run in a little over three minutes to take a 24-21 lead with 4:49 left in the half. Miami finished a disjointed half up 29-28. Redshirt senior guard Sheldon McClellan led the Canes with eight points on 4-of-6 shooting. The Canes missed all four of their three-point attempts and shot 12-of-30 (40 percent) overall on field goals while the Eagles went 13-of-25 (52 percent) from the field.

Miami opened the second half with a 16-7 run to take a 45-35 lead with 14:15 remaining. Redshirt senior guard Angel Rodriguez went scoreless in the first half, but he scored eight points in the stretch to help the Canes go up by double digits.

The Canes maintained their advantage for the rest of the night. A 6-0 scoring run by Boston College cut Miami’s lead to 52-49 with 7:03 remaining, but the Canes responded with a 14-4 run to put the Eagles away. Rodriguez again played a pivotal role in the streak, scoring two tough layups to put Miami ahead by 13 with less than a minute to play.

Miami’s starting point guard finished with 12 points on 4-of-9 (44 percent) shooting. McClellan, Miami’s leading scorer coming into the game, led the Canes with 19 points on 7-of-14 (50 percent) shooting.

The Hurricanes next face Wake Forest at 12 p.m. on Saturday at the BankUnited Center.

Mark Singer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Hurricanes men’s basketball ends two-game losing streak with 67-53 win over Boston College”

1. Raymond says:

This is the first time I really excited to watch this match. Wish them win in next match with Wake Forest, Hurricanes men rocks!

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...