Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes men’s basketball ends two-game losing streak with 67-53 win over Boston College

The Hurricanes ended their two-game road skid with a 67-53 win over Boston College in Massachusetts on Wednesday night. The Canes fell from No. 8 to No. 15 in the rankings after consecutive losses to Virginia and Clemson, but a strong second-half performance gave Miami its first win in nearly two weeks. The Canes are now 9-0 against Boston College under Head Coach Jim Larrañaga and have won the last 11 contests overall against the Eagles.

The Canes (14-3, 3-2) got off to a solid start in the first half, going 5-of-8 from the field to take an 11-7 lead seven minutes into the game. The team missed its next six shots but still held a four-point lead with 10:24 to go thanks to four turnovers by the Eagles. Boston College (7-11, 0-5) turned the ball over 12 times in the first half alone.

The Eagles went on a 10-1 run in a little over three minutes to take a 24-21 lead with 4:49 left in the half. Miami finished a disjointed half up 29-28. Redshirt senior guard Sheldon McClellan led the Canes with eight points on 4-of-6 shooting. The Canes missed all four of their three-point attempts and shot 12-of-30 (40 percent) overall on field goals while the Eagles went 13-of-25 (52 percent) from the field.

Miami opened the second half with a 16-7 run to take a 45-35 lead with 14:15 remaining. Redshirt senior guard Angel Rodriguez went scoreless in the first half, but he scored eight points in the stretch to help the Canes go up by double digits.

The Canes maintained their advantage for the rest of the night. A 6-0 scoring run by Boston College cut Miami’s lead to 52-49 with 7:03 remaining, but the Canes responded with a 14-4 run to put the Eagles away. Rodriguez again played a pivotal role in the streak, scoring two tough layups to put Miami ahead by 13 with less than a minute to play.

Miami’s starting point guard finished with 12 points on 4-of-9 (44 percent) shooting. McClellan, Miami’s leading scorer coming into the game, led the Canes with 19 points on 7-of-14 (50 percent) shooting.

The Hurricanes next face Wake Forest at 12 p.m. on Saturday at the BankUnited Center.

Mark Singer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Hurricanes men’s basketball ends two-game losing streak with 67-53 win over Boston College”

1. Raymond says:

This is the first time I really excited to watch this match. Wish them win in next match with Wake Forest, Hurricanes men rocks!

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...