V's Take

Dear V: He won’t say those three little words

I’ve been dating my boyfriend for a year now. We had a one-night stand our freshman year that ended up escalating to full-on dates, cuddling and all that cheesy stuff by the first semester of our sophomore year. At first, I was fine with taking it slow – after all, neither of us planned to become a “thing.” But now, it’s been a year and he hasn’t said those three little words I’m dying to hear.

I’m trying to keep cool about it. I know he cares about me, and he treats me like a queen. But if he loved me, wouldn’t he know by now? I’m afraid I’m wasting my time on someone who doesn’t feel as deeply about me as I do about him. What should I do?

Sincerely,

Haven’t Heard the L-Word

Dear Haven’t Heard the L-Word,

If your guy treats you right and you’re happy in your relationship, there’s nothing too serious to worry about. If he shows you he cares, sometimes that’s all that guys are ready to do. Telling someone you love them is a big deal no matter how long you’ve been dating. Some couples go without saying it for years.

However, that doesn’t mean you should sit on the edge of your seat and drive yourself crazy.

Who said that the man should take the plunge first anyway? If you’re ready, say it to him when the mood is right. He might say he loves you back and be relieved you took the plunge, or he might tell you he’s not ready yet. Either way, don’t lose heart.

Thing is, actions speak louder than words. If he takes the time out of his day to see you, spends quality time with you and makes you happy, then he’s showing you that he loves you in the way that’s easiest for him.

After all, it’s possible he’s afraid to say it because he thinks you’re not ready.

Lay on the affection and sweet talk for a few weeks and see how he reacts. Do something nice for him in the spur of the moment, like buying him that video game he wanted or taking him to that football game you’ve been avoiding. Give him the push he needs to say how he feels.

So either choose to stay where you are now and keep truckin’, or swallow your pride and take the leap.

If you’re both happy together, don’t be afraid to show it. Or, in this case, say it.

-V

Advice Columnist

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...