Dear V

Dear V: He won’t say those three little words

I’ve been dating my boyfriend for a year now. We had a one-night stand our freshman year that ended up escalating to full-on dates, cuddling and all that cheesy stuff by the first semester of our sophomore year. At first, I was fine with taking it slow – after all, neither of us planned to become a “thing.” But now, it’s been a year and he hasn’t said those three little words I’m dying to hear.

I’m trying to keep cool about it. I know he cares about me, and he treats me like a queen. But if he loved me, wouldn’t he know by now? I’m afraid I’m wasting my time on someone who doesn’t feel as deeply about me as I do about him. What should I do?

Sincerely,

Haven’t Heard the L-Word

Dear Haven’t Heard the L-Word,

If your guy treats you right and you’re happy in your relationship, there’s nothing too serious to worry about. If he shows you he cares, sometimes that’s all that guys are ready to do. Telling someone you love them is a big deal no matter how long you’ve been dating. Some couples go without saying it for years.

However, that doesn’t mean you should sit on the edge of your seat and drive yourself crazy.

Who said that the man should take the plunge first anyway? If you’re ready, say it to him when the mood is right. He might say he loves you back and be relieved you took the plunge, or he might tell you he’s not ready yet. Either way, don’t lose heart.

Thing is, actions speak louder than words. If he takes the time out of his day to see you, spends quality time with you and makes you happy, then he’s showing you that he loves you in the way that’s easiest for him.

After all, it’s possible he’s afraid to say it because he thinks you’re not ready.

Lay on the affection and sweet talk for a few weeks and see how he reacts. Do something nice for him in the spur of the moment, like buying him that video game he wanted or taking him to that football game you’ve been avoiding. Give him the push he needs to say how he feels.

So either choose to stay where you are now and keep truckin’, or swallow your pride and take the leap.

If you’re both happy together, don’t be afraid to show it. Or, in this case, say it.

-V

Advice Columnist

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...