Edge, Movies

Author Rick Yancey reflects on ‘The 5th Wave’ adaptation

Highly anticipated science-fiction thriller “The 5th Wave” is set to hit theaters this Friday as young science-fiction fans burst with excitement. Based on the novel by Rick Yancey, a Miami native, the major motion picture follows Cassie Sullivan (Chloë Grace Moretz) as Earth’s population is decimated by increasingly deadly alien attacks.

The film tells the story of a 16-year-old determined to survive, holding onto the hope that she can rescue her five-year-old brother Sam (Zackary Arthur) from the foreign invaders.

“I wanted to write a story that was big in the sense that this is a worldwide phenomenon that’s happening, but also very intimate and human at the same time,” Yancey said.

The transition from text to film was a relatively seamless one, Yancey explained, as his writing style is easily adaptable to the big screen. The author has an extensive background in visual arts that influences his vivid prose, often called “cinematic.” An avid member of theater in high school and college, Yancey wrote, directed and acted, drawing him into the world of story creation. He later picked up writing screenplays, which eventually evolved into story writing.

“What really sets this story apart is the heart of it,” Yancey said, “and the characters, and what drives them as ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances. [The filmmakers] worked really hard to capture the essence of that.”

Yancey noted that readers of the novel will be happy with the translation onto the big screen.

“[The film] pretty much stays true to the spirit of the novel … I think that fans of the book will be very pleased with how the filmmakers captured those core stories and what they’ve done with the characters,” he said.

Full of stunning post-apocalyptic environments and impressive special effects, “The 5th Wave” promises to be a visual masterpiece, but goes far beyond that as well, Yancey said.

“For me, the deeper message is about the bonds that bind us together as a human family … love and the ability to sacrifice our own personal wants or needs for somebody else, which is remarkable,” he said.

Featured image courtesy Stewart Butterfield via Flickr.

David Ufberg

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...