Campus Life, Frenk, News

President Frenk remembers Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

President Julio Frenk gathered with students and administrators of the University of Miami to remember Martin Luther King, Jr.’s legacy Tuesday afternoon at The Rock.

Titled “Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Remembrance Ceremony,” the gathering aimed to remember King’s sacrifices and contributions to the United States and the world. This theme overarches four days of events called “The Depths of a King.”

Frenk spoke about how King affected his life; he recalled when he learned as a 14 year old of King’s death. President Frenk had a poster of King’s “I Have A Dream” speech on his wall.

“It happened exactly at the time when I was awakening politically,” he said. “It had an enormous influence on me and on my own thinking about issues like oppression and injustice.”

Frenk said he is committed to building on King’s legacy.

“[King’s] message, [King’s] position, [King’s] idea of interconnectedness remains as vibrant and as relevant as ever,” Frenk said. “Working together and using Dr. King’s life as our inspiration, I hope we come together and … take our university to even greater heights.”

Beja Turner, first vice president of United Black Students and the coordinator of “The Depths of a King,” said the gathering showed how the campus community both recognizes and wants to continue King’s legacy.

“I thought it was important to have a central day of remembrance in the middle of campus,” she said.

Turner wants the week of events to show how King did more than just fight racial injustice.

“Dr. King wasn’t a one-dimensional man,” she said. “He worked for so much more than just racial discrimination: he worked for poverty, and he worked against the Vietnam War. He worked for so much more than what he’s famous for.”

UM has a history with Martin Luther King, Jr. On May 19, 1966, King gave a lecture on campus, according to a Facebook post from the official UM page.

“Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Remembrance Ceremony” was sponsored by United Black Students, Multicultural Student Affairs and Student Government.

Upcoming “The Depths of a King” events:

What: Who is MLK? Photography Exhibit

When: 6 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 20

Where: CAS Gallery

What: “Selma” Screening

When: 6 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 21

Where: Cosford Cinema

Sherman Hewitt

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...