Campus Life, Frenk, News

President Frenk remembers Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

President Julio Frenk gathered with students and administrators of the University of Miami to remember Martin Luther King, Jr.’s legacy Tuesday afternoon at The Rock.

Titled “Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Remembrance Ceremony,” the gathering aimed to remember King’s sacrifices and contributions to the United States and the world. This theme overarches four days of events called “The Depths of a King.”

Frenk spoke about how King affected his life; he recalled when he learned as a 14 year old of King’s death. President Frenk had a poster of King’s “I Have A Dream” speech on his wall.

“It happened exactly at the time when I was awakening politically,” he said. “It had an enormous influence on me and on my own thinking about issues like oppression and injustice.”

Frenk said he is committed to building on King’s legacy.

“[King’s] message, [King’s] position, [King’s] idea of interconnectedness remains as vibrant and as relevant as ever,” Frenk said. “Working together and using Dr. King’s life as our inspiration, I hope we come together and … take our university to even greater heights.”

Beja Turner, first vice president of United Black Students and the coordinator of “The Depths of a King,” said the gathering showed how the campus community both recognizes and wants to continue King’s legacy.

“I thought it was important to have a central day of remembrance in the middle of campus,” she said.

Turner wants the week of events to show how King did more than just fight racial injustice.

“Dr. King wasn’t a one-dimensional man,” she said. “He worked for so much more than just racial discrimination: he worked for poverty, and he worked against the Vietnam War. He worked for so much more than what he’s famous for.”

UM has a history with Martin Luther King, Jr. On May 19, 1966, King gave a lecture on campus, according to a Facebook post from the official UM page.

“Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Remembrance Ceremony” was sponsored by United Black Students, Multicultural Student Affairs and Student Government.

Upcoming “The Depths of a King” events:

What: Who is MLK? Photography Exhibit

When: 6 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 20

Where: CAS Gallery

What: “Selma” Screening

When: 6 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 21

Where: Cosford Cinema

Sherman Hewitt

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM undergraduate students resumed classes Monday, some ready, some not, but everyone glad to be back ...

The bold vision for advancing health care education and practice manifests itself this Thursday, Sep ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...