Community, News, Video

Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service has largest volunteer turnout in event’s history

Approximately 150 students volunteered on Monday in an underprivileged neighborhood of Liberty City during Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service, an annual event inspired by the late civil rights activist.

The service day’s turnout was one of the largest in the event’s history at the University of Miami. Although it is one of the smaller service days offered at UM, compared to the Gandhi Day of Service that brought together about 900 students in 2015, a record breaking number of students registered this year, which indicated a positive change to junior Beja Turner, the first vice president of United Black Students.

“It’s great knowing that this day of service is growing and thriving every year,” said Turner. “It shows that people are continuing to recognize the greatness of the life of MLK.”

Turnout wasn’t the only difference this year, as the service day partnered with Miami Children’s Initiative for the first time. MCI, a nonprofit organization focused on transforming Liberty City into a prosperous community, was chosen in 2015 as the community partner for the Clinton Global Initiative University Day of Action, which makes it all the more special for Turner.

“Its exciting in and of itself because we get to open a new avenue to a new part of Miami,” said Turner. “Most students might not have access unless they did have some service opportunities here.”

Liberty City is one of the most poverty stricken communities in Miami-Dade, but also one that MCI believes can be changed back into a thriving community.

Seeing first hand the community of Liberty City and the difference one can make, sophomore Aaron Gluck said he was struck with shock.

“Its different to hear about things that go on in communities than it is to see them with your eyes,” said Gluck. “But it goes to show that little things can make a difference.”

Throughout the day, students helped lay mulch, clean up, and paint the neighborhood’s elementary and middle school. Students were also able to personally engage with the children of Liberty City through games of basketball, kickball, and flag football. Senior Michael Hoffman said that giving up a day off from school was worth it when he saw the direct impact they were making with the children.

“We get this day off of school to commemorate the impact Martin Luther King made on this country, and we get to see the impact we make, even if on a smaller scale like a game of basketball,” Hoffman said.

Freshman Tamara Popovska paints a parking spot alongside other students volunteering for the Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service in Liberty City on Monday. The MLK Day of Service experienced a record turnout with nearly 150 student volunteers. UM partnered with the Miami Children’s Initiative to bring volunteers to elementary and middle schools in Liberty City, where the volunteers worked on beautifying the area. Some of the projects included painting, laying mulch and cleaning up. The volunteers also got to spend time playing sports with children from local neighborhoods. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...