Community, News, Video

Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service has largest volunteer turnout in event’s history

Approximately 150 students volunteered on Monday in an underprivileged neighborhood of Liberty City during Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service, an annual event inspired by the late civil rights activist.

The service day’s turnout was one of the largest in the event’s history at the University of Miami. Although it is one of the smaller service days offered at UM, compared to the Gandhi Day of Service that brought together about 900 students in 2015, a record breaking number of students registered this year, which indicated a positive change to junior Beja Turner, the first vice president of United Black Students.

“It’s great knowing that this day of service is growing and thriving every year,” said Turner. “It shows that people are continuing to recognize the greatness of the life of MLK.”

Turnout wasn’t the only difference this year, as the service day partnered with Miami Children’s Initiative for the first time. MCI, a nonprofit organization focused on transforming Liberty City into a prosperous community, was chosen in 2015 as the community partner for the Clinton Global Initiative University Day of Action, which makes it all the more special for Turner.

“Its exciting in and of itself because we get to open a new avenue to a new part of Miami,” said Turner. “Most students might not have access unless they did have some service opportunities here.”

Liberty City is one of the most poverty stricken communities in Miami-Dade, but also one that MCI believes can be changed back into a thriving community.

Seeing first hand the community of Liberty City and the difference one can make, sophomore Aaron Gluck said he was struck with shock.

“Its different to hear about things that go on in communities than it is to see them with your eyes,” said Gluck. “But it goes to show that little things can make a difference.”

Throughout the day, students helped lay mulch, clean up, and paint the neighborhood’s elementary and middle school. Students were also able to personally engage with the children of Liberty City through games of basketball, kickball, and flag football. Senior Michael Hoffman said that giving up a day off from school was worth it when he saw the direct impact they were making with the children.

“We get this day off of school to commemorate the impact Martin Luther King made on this country, and we get to see the impact we make, even if on a smaller scale like a game of basketball,” Hoffman said.

Freshman Tamara Popovska paints a parking spot alongside other students volunteering for the Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service in Liberty City on Monday. The MLK Day of Service experienced a record turnout with nearly 150 student volunteers. UM partnered with the Miami Children’s Initiative to bring volunteers to elementary and middle schools in Liberty City, where the volunteers worked on beautifying the area. Some of the projects included painting, laying mulch and cleaning up. The volunteers also got to spend time playing sports with children from local neighborhoods. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...

The Miami women's tennis team concluded the 2017 season ranked No. 25 in the country, as announ ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2017 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 25-27 at the U ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...